new Mustang has been keyed help

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:46 pm
Ive bought a 2004 Mustang GT but some body keyed my passanger front fender and door Ive used these products to try and buff them out and they are still there Gs27scratch remover and Rubbing compound from turtle wax nothing seems to work is there something better to use im trying to fix the car up for shows but the passanger side looks ugly now
can some body give me some tips to make it look better

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:26 am
Take a magnifying glass and really look at the keyed line. If it is broken through the clearcoat ( most keying incidents do) you will need to repaint the affected panels. If it does indeed look like you haven't broken through to your color basecoat or worse yet down past your primer you might be able to make a save. Try and visit a local automotive paint jobber (supplier) and look at 3M's line of compounds. I'm sure they could set you up with some compounds that would be more aggressive than what you are using. The idea is to try and get the rough edges of the scratch to "heel over" or melt down. Again this absolutely will not work if you are through the clearcoat already.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:46 am
You dont have insurance? Usually vandilism wont raise your rates.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:38 pm
[quote="MO-Cummins"]You dont have insurance? Usually vandilism wont raise your rates.[/quote]yes I have full covrage but it falls in my deductable and i have to pay for it so im trying to save some money

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:44 pm
[quote="DarrelK"]Take a magnifying glass and really look at the keyed line. If it is broken through the clearcoat ( most keying incidents do) you will need to repaint the affected panels. If it does indeed look like you [u]haven't [/u]broken through to your color basecoat or worse yet down past your primer you might be able to make a save. Try and visit a local automotive paint jobber (supplier) and look at 3M's line of compounds. I'm sure they could set you up with some compounds that would be more aggressive than what you are using. The idea is to try and get the rough edges of the scratch to "heel over" or melt down. Again this absolutely will not work if you are through the clearcoat already.[/quote]
dustyharts
Thank you DarrelK I will talk to some one at a local body shop and find out a good 3m product your input was vary helpfull thanks again dustyharts

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:04 am
Hope you can get it fixed. A jerk once keyed my wife's Jaguar XJ6 from one end to the other (down to bare metal). I had to do a complete re-paint. That was 15 years ago and I would still like to kick the guy's butt if I found out who did it.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:40 pm
sorry to here about your wifes Jag I sure would like to kick the but of any one messing up some bodys car that just aint right I live in a housing complexs and I thought if any where it would get scratched up here but it happend at the hospital of all places the police were just as mad as I was then to here my insurance wouldnt cover any of it made me evan more mad its been years seance I've done any auto body work and was trying to remember what to use to fix it I've got it so you can only see a little of the scratchs now but I know were they wher and pick up on them fast and that bugs the heck out of me but thanks to your reply I rememberd about what 3m product to get and went right out and got it I'll be trying it this week end I'll let you know how it comes out ok thanks again
dustyharts

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:49 pm
Sorry some jerk did that to your car.....hope you get if fixed and all is well.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail