pin holes in clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:54 pm
hi, can pin holes(solvent pop) in clear be repaired by cleaning them out,filling the holes with clear,sanding flush and then glaze/buff? i have about 5/6 in the clear...omni blk b/c and ppg c/c........thx,joe
joe

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:49 pm
Last edited by Skully on Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:44 am
Yes you can repair the pops this way , but it sucks!! Since you only have 5 or 6 it should not be a big deal, however if you have a panel covered in them I strongly am against this method of repair... All you have to do is sand the clear flat.... activate some new clear and drop in the clear on the spots with a touch up brush or a tooth pick.. Once it is dry you then sand the area until the drops are flat with the rest of the clear and buff with compound etc... Read this... IT IS HARDER than it sounds... It takes allot of sanding to get each spot back down perfect... If it is not when you buff it you will see a ring where the clear is still higher in that spot.... Best of luck to you...

BTW I did a whole car like this one time, it turned out great in the end, but was horrible sanding it all down flat!!!!!

Matthew
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:25 pm
I've repaired them that way too. What a pain in the butt. My eyes got so goofy on me I ended up getting one of those flip down jewelers magnifying glass bands that fit on your head. That still didn't make that sanding process any easier. Spot repair on clear urethanes is just hard no matter what you do if you use new clear urethane for the repair. You gotta work it until it blends.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:30 pm
any tips or idea's on cleaning out all the sanding dust(pin,low pressure air,mini vac???) and mixing the clear(use some dt reducer?) since it is only a few i will try and fix them before resanding entire clear coat AGAIN!!! have a good one,joe
joe

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail