buffing - noob question (another one)

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:33 pm
i've seen some posts here, but i thought i'd post my own cause i have some questions of my own..

we just cleared the truck. i'll post a picture here soon..
it's been 24 hours and i want to clean it up a bit.

the process that we did.
painted with 3 coats of black.
cleared with 3 coats
wetsanded with 600
cleared again with 2 heavy coats
----

now i want to wetsand with 1500 and 2000. the questions:

1. how much should i wetsand the clear with 1500 and 2000 ?

1.1) i'm expecting a dull finish, after using the 1500 and 2000, correct ?

2. after those steps, i have a turtlewax rubbing compound i planned on using on what i just wetsanded. so i'll apply it, and then use a buffer somewhere around 1700rpm and a wool buffer pad to remove the compound.

3. then polish ?

here's a pic... it looks good, but there was a lot of items floating around in the air that i want to get rid of.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:15 pm
The surface should look dull and flat with no texture. If you see glossy spots those are low. If you see a lot of glossy spots you've got orange peel to deal with. Turtlewax rubbing compound is more like something you would use for doing spot repair than an overall compounding job. I'm not saying it won't work but I would rather have a paint jobber set me up with a 3M or Norton compounding system. Wool pads are okay but foam is faster and easier if you are not used to doing this. Yes, moving on up to finer grit polishes would be next, followed by machine or hand glazing. Again a paint jobber should be able to set you up with an entire line of the right stuff for what you want to do. If you don't have someone locally check out my professional supplier for the Body Magic line of compounds, polishes, and buffer pads at www.supergrit.com Body Magic is a virtual clone system of 3M at much cheaper pricing and made by Evercoat which are the guys that make quality body fillers for auto body. Hope this helps. (You may have to call Supergrit for the list of these products as I don't think they are listed at the web site.)
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:53 pm
cool.. i'll have to check into that stuff.. for now i'm just gonna have to deal with what i got..

thanks again..

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail