clear soft after machine glaze/buff

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:11 pm
hi, seems like after i finish up with the buffing of a fresh base/clear the clear is soft (imprints easily)..i have noticed this after a few paint jobs and wanted to know if this is normal and how long after buffing until handling..is it the products i use?3m imperial microfinishing compound,3m perfect it ll,meguiers#9 swirl remover,any recommendations on products that most people favor(3m line??).... i have been using ppg and omni base with ppg clear(2082)..........thanks and have a good weekend,joe
joe

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:47 pm
How soon after shooting the clear do you cut and buff? I think there is always a trade off with "when" you do this work. If you do it after a day or so the clear is easier to cut and buff because it is indeed softer but is still off gassing and flowing out somewhat. If you cut and buff a week later the coating is harder to cut and buff but you also don't tend to accidentally burn through your coating as much. Your compounding and buffing schedule sounds good to me. If you want to save some bucks sometime without sacrificing quality try the Body Magic line of compounds made by Evercoat. They mimic the same steps as 3M but can be about half the price. As for PPG and Omni that's my choice for paint also. Omni base colors are a little thin requiring more coats in some colors but overall you can't beat their 161 topcoats and my favorite clear the PPG 2021. I've never used the 2082 before.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:30 pm
it was final clear coated about a week ago, but like i said i have noticed this before and thought it may be normal from the heat and compounds used??... that is the second time i heard about body magic from e/coat can anyone tell me the system and compounds they have used....thanks again,joe (enjoying the weekend)
joe

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:59 pm
just ck'd evercoats site and all the compounding products...seems they have it all,what are the primary ones that are needed? thx,joe
joe

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:49 am
Just to make sure you get exactly what you need I would talk to a jobber. Check out www.supergrit.com They are the internet jobber that supplies us. I don't think they list the Body Magic stuff on the site. You might have to give their 1-800-822-4003 a call. Arturo, the owner, can be very helpful if he is in.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:46 pm
hi darrel...thx for info, have a good one, joe
joe

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:03 am
Something is not right if you can leave an imprint in clear after a week, even after buffing. I paint and buff 1-2 cars a week and have never had one after buffing that the clear was so soft it would leave a imprint. I use the Matrix line of paint and especially the clear, MS42, best stuff yet I have tried, just my oponion. I have used other paints and have not had them to be soft after a week. I buff most cars a day or two after clearcoating. Are you sure you are following the P Sheets correctly in mixing the clear?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 am
Meant to add that I use 3M products also for buffing. :P

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:42 pm
Hi Joe. I have never used the ppg clear before but are you sure about the amount of activator or hardner you are using in the clear?? I can't imagine what else it could be. Good luck
"IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:50 pm
You say your clearcoat is soft after sanding. Maybe you are using the
wrong clearcoat. I use Omni base coats and I was under the
impression that you can ONLY use MC160 or MC161 Omni clear on
Omni basecoats. The Omni is supposed to be used only with its own
b/c, c/c, paint, reducers, ect, ect. Gus.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail