Buffing questions

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:41 pm
All,

I recently shot a late model Jetta for a friend. Black of all colors.....not a choice color for a newbie like me, thats for sure. I am using a relatively cheap HVLP and shooting Martin Senior paints. I have noticed more orange peel with my HVLP vice regular gun, but I like the HVLP for less overspray and paint use. Either way, once I wet sanded the orange peel, I began the buffing process. I am using 3M compounds and am having good luck with it. I am getting a good shiny result but I still have these swirls. They look as if they are 3 dimensional, almost deep in the paint. I am using terry cloth buffing pads and that is probably the problem. I have ordered some foam pads and am waiting for them to arrive. Can I expect better results with foam vice terry? Once again, I would appreciate any feedback....... :D

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 pm
The terry cloth type are not real good to use. I use 3M Perfect It 3000 rubbing compound with white 3m foam compounding pad. Most of time using this stuff, I don't have to use anything else but hand glaze from 3M because there are no more swirl marks. If you still have some, switch to the 3M black foam polishing pad and use the 3M Perfect It Foam Pad Glaxe, then use the 3M hand glaze. You should then have a swirl free shiny vehicle.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:13 pm
Yeah, I agree terry cloth is more like something you would use with a wax application. I always use foam but also have used wool in the past. I think foam is a lot easier to learn with if you've never done much buffing work before. Swirls with most any professional pad are usually a thing of the past especially with 3M products.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:40 pm
I was hoping it was the terry cloth pad covers......the foam ones come in tomorrow and I am looking forward to giving it a shot with foam. Hoping the swirls go away!!!! 8)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:16 pm
I feel you will be a happy person tomorrow after you try it.... :D

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail