do I need a new buffer?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:27 pm
In addition to my question about swirl marks. There is a texture that is bearly perceptible. I need to stare at it to see it. I went through half a bottle of 3M medium cut on one hood and still it has not changed the appearence. What I think I'm seeing is the 2000 grit markes kind of smoothed out (the edge taken) off. It doesn't reflect light like a scratch more like a microscopic texture.

Could this be caused by a weak buffer? I'm using a harbor frieght digital buffer and when it touches the hood it slows down considerably possibly by half or more. On a test panel I spent 10min working a 12' square area with a wool pad and medium cut with the buffer at 2700RPM and I didn't burn through or change the appearence of this texture on four coats of clear that had previously been cut and buffed.

help I'm going insane staring at this :shock:

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:08 pm
You're probably already at the funny farm by now, but yes, I think you can do with a new buffer if yours is slowing down by half. I noticed a considerable improvement when I went from my Craftsman POS buffer (that Grandma can use for waxing :lol: ) to a good variable speed Milwaukee buffer. Hope this bump will get you some additional advice from some of the 'ol pros because it's a good question.
Last edited by azmr2 on Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restoring Mr2's, one car at a time: www.msnusers.com/mr2projects

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:02 am
I"m not an old pro but I'll offer an opinion...

The defects you're trying to take out are too deep for the product you're using, period. Could be you're working on dirt scratches from poor sanding technique, or some other defect, or it could be that "medium cut" is too light to take out 2000 scratches (I doubt it if you used that much of it but I don't use 3M). I doubt the problem is an underpowered buffer, you don't need high RPM and 2700 is very high.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:01 pm
I have know Idea if this texture I'm seeng is on the surface of the clear or junction fo clear and base. One time I can look at a relfection and the edge is crisp if I strain my eyes to focous a little differently I can clearly see this "texture" :?

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail