Question about burning through corners.....

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:46 pm
I'm just a bit confused to as what people mean by when the burn through the corners/edges, as in the corners of the doors and such or just the egde of each panel. I just know you need to tape but not sure what i'm taping. Also are the places that are taped not colorsand or buff? Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:10 am
Yes, this is usually confusing to most people that have not done much compounding and buffing with a rotary machine. If you can fool around on some scrap doors, fenders, hoods, etc. with a buffer it quickly makes a lot of since. As the machine gets near the edge you are putting more pressure on to a smaller area as you get closer and before you know it "wham" you blow right through your clear coat which is also thinner near that edge. As for an inside corner you might be compounding one vertical surface and "wham" blow through your clear with the edge of the machine on the other vertical inside corner. As to "if" you color sand and buff those edges and vulnerable spots I think that's personal preference and how well your coating has flowed out. I may not need to color sand them but I still may hand compound them in to blend the clear with my machine work. Best advice, practice compounding and buffing and you'll figure out what needs to be taped and protected. Just some thoughts.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:02 pm
I'm probably over-simplifying things, but I recently did a little buffing and I just tried to keep the buffer moving and ease up near the edges. I had 5 coats of clear to work with too, I imagine that helped....probably overkilled that one. I also read on here that foam pads were suggested for newbies over wool......I bought both a foam cutting pad and a foam finishing pad.....might have been some beginners luck but it worked for me. I found buffing to be a lot of fun, compared to all that wet sanding. Good grief, I thought it would never end......

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail