Heavy orange peel in the base coat with clear over that?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:02 pm
Friend painted a car then clear coated over heavy orange peel, 3 coats. What now? wet sand and buff the clear or sand down to the paint/base? Im used to doing the old UE paint so i just sand and buff my mistakes, i been avoiding clear coats cause im an old dog and that is a new trick for me. I was pissed when they got rid of lac and i had to learn UE. besides saves money and i like to sand and shoot and not have clear in my way

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:32 pm
Im trying to help this friend but my experience is limited to the older paint systems. This car was his first but he got lots of orange peel then cleared it anyway. I havent tried the newer paint systems yet cause my older stuff has the UE on them so why change now. Do i sand down to the base coat try and sand and buff?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:54 pm
If he used base coat clear coat and there is allot of orange peel in the base it will transfer through to the clear... I am assuming he put allot of orange peel in the clear too... Take a spot and wetsand it down and buff it... if it looks good then do a whole panel, if it looks like crap, then you will need to sand it down and do it over

BK
[Quote from Quincy Jones]

If you want more, Dream more!!!!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:58 am
I will give that a try. My experience comes from abt 1970s cars/trucks and just fixen them back to factory paint codes. Im working on a 1989 f-250 just a panel here and there and buff the rest a little then sell it. Thats as close to new as i have worked on so far. I would like to try the new paint systems. So far im still working in the dark ages. Im mostly a welder/fabricator and body work mostly just makes me insane.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail