Buffer Speed

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:43 pm
The pearls shouldn't change after you shoot the base. Never touch the base with anything except clear. Don't even wipe it because it is possible to leave streaks. I've been there and have gotten them. But my streaks looked more linear than those though.

If you have to repair, don't sand through the clear to the base. Just sand the clear with 600 grit. Apply your new base blending into the surrounding areas. Then clear the whole panel.

Larry

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:39 pm
OK, thanks Larry. I was going to just wet sand the clear (and the spots) and reapply the clear?
Restoring Mr2's, one car at a time: www.msnusers.com/mr2projects

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:53 pm
I'm pretty much a beginner. But I've painted a few of motorcycles. My first one was black and I remember not knowing how thick to put on the clear. And of course I put it on way too thick, not letting the solvents evaporate. So I had areas similar to the photo you posted. It almost looks like the trapped tiny bubbles that I got. Get a magnifying glass and look. Because it does look like pearl, but just thousands of tiny bubbles. Just a thought??

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:36 pm
Nope, definitely not bubbles in the clear. They look like really fine grains of sand in a "fan" pattern. I'm just waiting for more paint before I sand the area down this weekend.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:38 pm
Shouldn't take much base, but clear the whole door.
It's on it's way.

Larry

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:14 pm
Thanks Larry. Sanded the top half of the door and resprayed the basecoat and then the clear. Got a real nice bug preserved in this one :lol: Does painting a car actually ever end? I'll sand the clear to get the bug out and respray it. Hopefully this will be the last spot and I'll be able to post some pics later.
Mack
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail