Sand scratches in clear

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:16 pm
Buffed clear with 3m compound, wool pad and foam pad,still has sand scratches. Clear was sanded with 1500 and 2000. Should I try a more aggressive compound. I know 3M has one. These are definetly sand scratches not swirl marks. Car looks great , but the scratches drive me crazy. Don't want to do any more sanding,if possible.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:35 pm
Sometimes it's the wool pad that can be the culprit for scratches but it sounds like you can obviously tell the difference here so, yes, try dropping down to a rougher grit compound. Kind of odd though, I've compounded up just from 1000 grit before with no scratches at all but I do usually use rougher grit compounds than most guys here. The 3M extra heavy duty compound can pull out just about anything. Just watch those edges!
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:35 am
darrelk,

I tried to find your SuperStepside pics, but being a newbie I had no luck. Can you point me to them?

I would like to build a SSS or similar car based sport truck.

Thanks
Crazy Horse

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:54 pm
It easy just go to the top of this page and hit Members Rides. Next you will see a line that says, Users Personal Galleries, hit that. Next just look about 8 names down the list and you will see DarrelK. Just tap on my name and you will see the thumbnails with my comments. For the bigger pictures just tap the photo thumbnails.
My Superstepside Truck was a neat project and is a real showstopper on the road. I've now had it in 34 car shows and have won 28 awards with it. But, it is a lot of work. I did indeed have over 300 hours of intense bodywork doing that truck and 100 hours of paint work. If you intend on doing the work yourself allow at least a year from strart to finish. If you are going to have someone else do the bodywork you had really better check them out.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail