Need help with black paint

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:51 pm
I have a 1997 Toyota Tacoma reg. cab and have a lot of questions about the paint. This is kinda long, so please bear with me.

The truck has a fine white overspray on the entire truck except for the front fenders cause I replaced them with 4wd ones. Also, there are a lot of scratches mainly on the driver door. Also, swirl marks cover the truck. It looks really good in low light, but in the sun it will blind you with the swirls. My father in law painted the fenders for me and used the correct factory black, but it has more of a brown tint to it, where the old paint is jet black. Any clue as to why? Also, the paint looks to have metallic flakes in the new fenders and the rest of the truck doesnt.

How can I get the swirls out, remove the overspray, and half-way get the fenders to match also? And what about deep scratches? I have the factory paint and have tried touching up with a brush, but the paint dries really dull. I also have a Duplicolor brush/pen but it also looks bad. Any suggestions? I'm not repainting the truck until I learn how to do it myself, so I need to try and make it look better for now.

I know this is a tall order, so thanks in advance for the help.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:47 pm
What I would do is respray the fenders and doors. it sounds like the color doesn't even come close to matching if there is metalic in it.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:26 am
Well, I would but since it's getting repainted I'm not as concerned with that as I am with swirls and scratches. The only time you can tell that it has been repainted is when you are looking at the side of the truck from a short distance with the sun directly on it.

What should I do about the scratches and the swirls? There is a product called Zaino which is a waxing product that is supposed to fill in the swirls and make the paint look wet. I know some people who have used it and their trucks look brand new, but no one has this many swirls or scratches.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:28 pm
I uploaded photos of my truck into the album under my username so u can see them. Look at the one from the right side of the truck and when you open it up bigger, you can see the difference in the colors. I know colors will fade some, but I just dont think that it was the right color. They look great, but the rest of the truck looks a lot darker. It looks like the fenders faded and not the truck.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:02 pm
I was hoping some of you might have some tips and tricks to share as to removing the swirls in the paint. I'm surprised no one has responded. The truck is going to be a show truck and since I dont have the funds or know-how right now to repaint it I'd like to remove the swirls and overspray as much as possible. It looks good in low light but when the sun hits it, it's horrific. My father in law owns a body shop and I'm trying to get him to let me start working for him so I can learn. But as of now he wont do it for some reason. So I'm pretty much on my own.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:07 pm
Sorry been busy lately with trying to buy new shop and all. Have you tried to buff it out? I like micro finishing compound then a good coat of carnuba wax.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:10 pm
No I haven't. I've never use any compounds and I'm kinda scared to try it and risk ruining the paint. :roll: Can you or someone give me some pointers as to how to use it and where to buy it? Also,what type of wax would you recommend? I use either Mother's liquid wax or Meguiar's liquid wax right now. I have a buffer, but it's a cheaper electric buffer with one speed. It worked well when I waxed my wife's car, but not sure if I need to use it or not for this process. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail