how to buff and polish

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:40 pm
hi everyone,
i just got through painting my 65 mustang for the 2nd time and this time it came out great. i owe a lot of that to this web site and everyone here. thanks everyone. now for my new question. i do have orange peel and would like to start buffing and polishing but dont really know how to tackle it. i already got the rough spots out with 1000 grit then i got those marks out with 2000. now i dont really know where to go from here. i have a wool pad and a foam pad. what kind of material should i buy for those applications? how far and long should i buff? i have 4 coats of clear if that helps. should i use water as i buff? how far should i sand with 2000. any and all advice is appreciated because i want to have this thing looking awesome before kool april nites! thanks everyone.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:56 pm
You want to sand until shine is gone and surface is flat. If using a buffer, set between 1250-1500 rpm's, use foam pad with 3m Finesse-it II Finishing Material #05928.
You may want to tape up any edges to prevent any burn through (paint is thinner on the edges), use the buffer at an angle using 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock part of the pad ONLY (you will have more control that way).
If the finishing material starts to smug or smear, you can spray a little water on it to loosen it up while buffing. Don't buff in one spot (heat buildup), keep the buffer moving at all times. You can actually use the finishing material right up to a really good shine. But if you want to go one step futher, wipe panel off with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, replace foam padding and switch to 3m glaze #05996 to give it the ultimate shine.
Once done, do final wipe with microfiber cloth (by hand), then stand back and admire the mirror-look shine.
Hope this helps 8) .

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail