acrylic lacquer process

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:57 am
I am currently painting a 28 vintage chev and i am not sure exactly when or what grid of wet sanding should be done.This is my first paint job .The enamel single stage for the middle body turned out with just a slight orange peel.Does anyone have any info :?:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:28 pm
Are you using lacquer and enamel on the same car? If you are using lacquer I would shoot clear over the color , it buffs out and gives a great shine. The orange peel can be block sanded out of the clear or the color coat. I just painted a 72 Chevelle with lacquer and sanded the last color coat and then the last clear coat with 1500 wet or dry paper. I had no orange peel and it buffed out with a very smooth finish. I have no orange peel but I did not let the primer or the following coats of paint cure between coats and after a month the paint is still reacting in places.Little wrinkles or sand scratches are showing up here and there. So far I have been able to sand them with 1500 sandpaper and buff them out to a smooth finish again. The instructor at the local votech school said lacquer will do this if everthing under it is not just right. If you used enamel and put a hardner in it they say you can sand it and buff it back to a shine. I have never tried to do it so I really can"t say how well it works. I did see a base coat clear coat job that had major orange peel and the guy sanded it out and made it look good after buffing it.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail