Acrylic Enamel buffing?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:29 pm
Hi Im new to the fourm and I wish I had known about it before..

Well last july I painted my 93 GMC sonoma ohoma orange, I used Acrylic Enamel paints, with hardner in the clear coat..

well It's been allmost a year now and I never buffed it so I still have some nibs and orange peel in the paint. Are they anything I can do to wet sand and buff this paint?
Ive herd about 50% of people Ive talked to say you can not buff Acrylic Enamel and the other 50% say I can aslong as I used hardner in the clear.

Also can I even wetsand and buff it after it has been this long?

and If I cant could I wetsand it and re-clear coat it and then buff?
and do you thank I could use some Acrylic Lacquer clear or do I have to still use Acrylic Enamel after 1 year?

thanks

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:13 am
If you used a hardener in the clearcoat you can safely color sand the finish and buff it out. I would reccommened 1200-1500 wet paper with a little liquid soap added to the water to keep the paper from loading up. 3M makes a good compond for machine buffing. I then follow up with using 3m glaze coat to remove machine swirles. Oh another thing use a buffing machine with an rpm of at least 2000 to 2600 rpm.
Hope this helps.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:55 am
Don"t put lacquer over enamel or you will get big problems. If you had never painted it and it had factory enamel paint you could use laquer but not over a repainted enamel job. I am having problems with putting new lacquer over an old lacquer paint job. Lacquer will react in some bad ways if everthing is not just right in the body work and the surface you put it on.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail