Powder Coating

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:54 am
Aberrant,

Process controlled oven is one that is a controlled enviroment, ie, one where you have a thermocoupler linked to a programmable controller so it will keep a steady cure temp on the part, also will need airflow. With a "home" oven you will not keep level temps across the part, you will have hot and cold spots over the parts. I know a lot of people will tell you a home oven will work, and it will "cure" the part for it to look good, but curing for quality and durability will not be there. The powdercoating will not withstand the enviroment and will fade, chip, peel etc. Will not last near as long. I started out with a home oven and had so much problems I about said the heck with it, the oven and real powder gun changed that. The cheap guns you see on Ebay are junk, the electrostatic discharge is only around 8,000-10,000 kv. You need at least 25KV to 100KV for proper powder spray and proper flow. The gun I use is variable from 30K-100K and adjustable air flow on it. My recommendation is to pay for a professional gun and then the oven. I rework many many parts done with cheap powder guns and home ovens even after less than a year that it was done, I can blast the powder coat right off, where one done properly with the right equipment I have to chemically remove the powder coat, it will not blast off.

It all depends on what you want as far as looks, durability, and a whole lot less problems like the one mentioned in this post.

Hope this helps.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:07 am
hey bandit54, where in alabama are you located? i live in west ga. i might be interested in having some powder coating done. let me know
vambo rools!
Previous

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail