lots of Orange peel need help

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:38 pm
hello again i just finished my car and i noticed that it has lots of orange peel i have wet sanded and buffed and its still there. i am probably going to repaint it anyway. I also noticed that it didnt look right when i started painting it i thought it would go away. is there something i need to ajust on my hvlp gun if so what is it. I am kind of new to some of this stuff i just finished school in this feild but i still need some help to get started. If you have any suggestions and tips on what i need to do that would be wonderful. :?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:04 pm
I have found that air pressure, temp., and thickness of what I am spraying effects the amount of orange peel I get. I have the side pannel off of an old washing machine that I always spray before I start on a car. This lets me see how the paint is going to flow out on the car. I have gone back many times and thinned the paint more that what it called for until it flowed out smooth. Then if I had any orange peel it was easy to sand out before buffing. Some of the guys that really know painting could probably tell you other things to watch for but these things are what I have found to be my big concern when painting.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Antique and Reckon are a little more well versed on this as far as the automotive version of this technique but essentially you can do a "solvent burn" of just your topcoat thinner as a high pressure mist on top of your last coat after it flashes. It's based on what used to be done to a lot of old lacquer coatings on furniture and cars. The idea is to open that last coat back up just long enough to flow and re-melt it to reduce orange peel and in some cases almost eliminate it. I do this to furniture all the time in our business and have done it with both the PPG and Omni lines on cars. Check back on some of the most recent posts by Reckon on clear topcoats and you'll see the recipe he got from Antique.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:59 pm
One thing I noticed when I began painting was that the Omni clear coat mixing ratio printed on the can is 2:1..that's it 2:1, When I followed this mix ratio I got "grapefruit" peel (much worse than orange peel)and runs all over the car. I asked around and did some experimenting and found a bit of reducer added to the clear would minimumize the orange peel greatly and made runs a thing of the past.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:19 pm
really ? how much reducer exactly ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:56 pm
JCTPM wrote:really ? how much reducer exactly ?

5-10% Makes it flow faster, you'll be able to tell easier when you are about to run.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:23 pm
wow thanks for posting that info morly Im currently having trouble myself using the omni quick clear. that stuff seems so thick it wont flow out. and when I can get is on smoother it gets a few air bubbles in it. I dont really think they are solvent pop like I was told by the guys at the paint store.
all the solvent pop pics I've see have way more bubbles.

Just one more question if you dont mind. that 5-10%. how much would you use in a mixing cup mixing it 2:1. half of the :1 or something like a tablespoon. hope my question makes sense.
Sorry I dont mean to thread jack this post.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail