Blending Lacquer Paint

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:51 am
I have a problem. I am 17 and in high school. My brother wrecked my moms 94 ford explorer messing up the front right fender and door a bit. I am in auto body in school and she let me do the work on it there. The body work went good but when it came to blending the paint, we had problems. We used ppg lacquer paint that matches the origonal color but when we sprayed the paint it came out dull. I tried buffing it with "finese it" and a foam 3m pad on a DA, it gave it some gloss but there is noticable difference in the new and old paints. the door is the main part that needs blended, its half new paint and half old. I need anykind of help possible on how to get this blended/glossy! My mom keeps nagging me and im sick of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The Power of Dreams

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:38 am
The way I blend lacquer is to first use rubbing compound on the whole fender or or you might use fine sandpaper so the new paint will stick. Shoot the color over the repaired area until it is covered.well. I then thin the paint and go out past the repaired area. The last coat is almost pure thinner but still has some color to it. I then shoot the whole fender with this . I have had very good luck doing it this way. This is how my instructor in votec school told us to do it. If that does not work you might try a coat of clear lacquer over the whole thing and then buff it out. I just painted my Chevelle with lacquer and put clear laquer over the color and it buffed out with a great shine.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:18 pm
Maybe you hould have used base/clear to repair base/clear?

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail