Automatic Topic Subscription

Information on how to use the discussion board. Post usage questions here.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:26 pm
Is there a setting I can choose, that allows me to automatically subscribe to topics I reply to or create? Or do I have to tick the Notify box at the bottom of the page every time?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm
Great question! There is a setting for this and I think it only applies to topics you create...but not totally sure. It is in the user control panel and in the board preferences tab:

subscribe.jpg

It would be interesting to know if this setting also emails you upon further replies to topics that you didn't start, but participated in. If you try that, let us know...thanks!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:55 am
I didn't tick that option when I was looking, as I don't want email notifications, just the topic to he highlighted when I return to the forum. I've ticked it now and will see what happens.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:01 am
ah - I see what you are saying now. No, that option will not do what you are looking for -- all it will do is send you emails.

There are two ways you can more easily see topics that you either started or participated in. The first is that the forum page will give you a hint by changing the icon to the left of the topic by putting a small red star in the upper right part of the icon. This means you have participated in that thread. Here's an example -- any icon you see with the small red star, I have made a post within:

topics_me.jpg

The second way you can get to your topics is by using the "view your posts" link, which will return a listing of all posts that you have made:

posts_me.jpg

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:48 am
Thanks. I just found the View your posts button and used it to get to this thread! I'll untick the email notifications now.

Return to Forum Usage Q&A