clear coat bubbles

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:41 pm
Hi new to this board. looking for some help. I'm trying to paint for the first time. I'm using Omni base and omni quick clear. Using a sharpe Finex hvlp Fx300 gun. and a cheap gun from harbor freight. Using either gun and trying various air pressure and mixture settings on both I cant seem to get a coat of clear on without at least a few air bubbles in it. or if I get them almost out the clear is too much and almost getting runs. also too light of a mix and its orange peels badly and wont fill out ( I dont know the correct term for the beads of spray to spread out) I know I'm waiting long enough for the paint to flash. the recommended 5- 10 min. I am using the slow hardener because the paint store was out of the fast. Its around 65-70 degrees.

I've also tried to clear a scrap piece over the factory paint with the same results. I'm getting poorer every time I waste this stuff :(
the air filters are dry the paint was sprayed with the same air lines as the clear so I know they dont have oil in them.

I'm not sure the correct air pressure I should use but I've tried everything from the guns recommended 29psi all the way to 35psi to 15psi.
what is a good pressure I should shoot for? If I can at least get that far I think I can at least get the mix right. also how wide of a spray pattern should I try to obtain?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:44 pm
Ok now I have it, paint store guys say these are solvent pop.
now I have to figure out why. :evil:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:26 pm
Yes, they sounded like solvent pops to me initially as well. Solvent pops have been addressed many times before in this forum. They can be caused by many things but if I remember right it mostly occurs from too much coating at one time or not enough flash time for that thickness of coating before the next coat hits. Try hitting the search button at the top and type in "solvent pop." You should see quite a few references to clear coats and the solvent pops problems and cures will be mentioned.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:20 am
I know I'm waiting long enough for the paint to flash. the recommended 5- 10 min. I am using the slow hardener because the paint store was out of the fast. Its around 65-70 degrees.

I think you answered your own question. 70° is what most paint manufacturers rate flash times at. If you are using a slower hardner then whats reccomended, then you will need to increase the flash times to compensate. Slower hardner would be more for like 95° weather. If the first coat can't flash before the second coat is applied, the evaporating solvents will try and pass through the second layer causing the air bubbles.

You can either get the right hardner or increase the flash times. Good luck.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:25 pm
thanks. I figured that was the problem so I went out and bought some fast hardener. It works much better.

Return to Body and Paint