Mixing PPG Deltron

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:46 am
I'm reading the online tech sheet for PPG Deltron DBU. The paint that I bought is Deltron DBU 9700 Black and the reducer is DRR 1170. I was unable to find the 9700 tech page, but the closest seems to be simply DBU. Anyway, it says to mix 1:1.5, DBU to Reducer, but the salesman that sold me the paint said to mix it 1:1.

The tech page also refers to a tri-coat system, in which you would "reduce the groundcoat to 100% midcoat 150%". Anybody know what that means?

They also sold me OMNI Clear, and assured me it would be no problem on top of the Deltron line of basecoat. He also sold me a quart of PPG DT 870 Reducer, to thin down the clear. Again, the tech sheet says nothing about what kind of reducer to use, if any. This particular saleguy says he doesn't read instructions, just does what works. I haven't had any problems so far with his advice, but I'm about to throw $300 worth of paint at my car, and was hoping for a second opinion.

Hope I've been clear enough. I did a test on a trunk lid I picked up at the local pick-ur-part ($20), but haven't been back to check it out after it dried. I'll check for adhesion, bubbles and any other defects, but is there anything I should be looking for to see if my system is a go so far?

As usual, all feedback is greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Joe
Joe K
'68 Datsun Roadster 2000

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:16 am
PPG spends a LOT of money to make sure their paint looks good. Follow the spec sheet to the letter.
The DBU sheet is for all DBU paint. The 9700 is just a color code.
You shouldn't need to reduce your clear in most cases. I hope they also sold you the appropriate hardner for the clear.

Also, find another salesman. That guy is just full of it

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:47 pm
I think that the salesman told you to mix it 1:1 instead of 1:1.5 because it covers like hell reducing it at 1:1.5. Omni is their cheapo brand, and it will stick just fine to the base, but it won't look or spray out nearly as well as the good ppg clear. Also, the 870 is the "fast" reducer I think, and unless your just painting a small part, you're going to have some problems with dry spray and die back. If I'm painting the whole car, I'd use at least the 872 "slow reducer". If where your painting is so cold you need the fast stuff, I'd consider waiting until it's warmer.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:50 pm
You know what? If you're throwing some bucks into this paint job, I'm not so sure I wouldn't spend a little more and get some better clearcoat.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 pm
You know, I just answered your question and didn't think about the whole package. Fumesniffer is right. Spend you money on the clear. If you were trying to save a few bucks, use the Omni base and the PPG clear. I think they sold you bas ackwards.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:00 pm
Read the post again and you asked what a groundcoat and a midcoat is. This is referring to a three-stage paint system, which I don't think you're using. The groundcoat is the base coat. The midcoat is a pearl coat that you put over the basecoat but under the clear. Three stages.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:03 pm
This is my first time doing this - I want to fix this so I decided to do it myself - I didn’t think it would be so hard to buy this paint and mix it and all that it needs to be done - now I will explain what I know so far and would like help from anyone - - I asked the Sales Man ~ what I needed to do and this is what he sold me. I bought Deltron DBU base coat (9700) 1QT - H.S. Polyurethane Clear- 1qt - H.S. Hardener 8 oz. ~ I know that I have to mix it with a reducer to reduce from 150% to 100% - What king of reducer should I buy? What else do I need ?- this is what my plan is sand down the part of the car that was keyed (door ) only a small part - 3" diameter - tape around it spray it/w base coat - then clear coat - then sand it and polish it.

[b]I need help on this PLEASE !!!
Feedback GRATELY appreciated.
JOE how did your project end up ???????
Jorge H

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:42 pm
PPG DBU MUST use the DRR reducers it's a reactive reducer, and it sort of hardens the basecoat.

PPG likes to use this for pearl, or kandy factory pack refinishing paint, because of film thickness on tri coats

mix the DBU 1:1 with the DRR redeucer, and shoot it like a basecoat or if you are shooting a tri coat, mix the ground coat 1:1, and the mid coat 1: 1.5 (thats what the 100%-150% means))

PPG OMNI clear is **** good clear, no matter WHAT you spend.

I have it on my personal motorcycle, and after five years sometimes in the sun for days at a time, and with very little care from me, it's holding up JUST as well as my other motorcycle (1966 Norton P-11), which has HOK UFC-35 clear.

they gave you the only paint PPG recomends for a tri coat, and a good quality inexpensive clear,....

use it,....very good stuff.
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:50 pm
I agree with reckon ...... OMNI clear is an excellent clear. use it.

I just finished a 68 sportster with omni base/clear and have gotten more than a few "oh my god that's gorgeous" comments on the job.

I've used Omni products for several of my own projects as well. the oldest is only 3 years old but still looks as good as the day it was painted.

I now use all omni products because the quality is excellent

Return to Body and Paint