I started sanding without using wax & grease remover.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:59 pm
I'm stripping graphics with 80 grit DA. Can I still go over all the parts with the wax remover and then resand, or should i just go with the post sanding cleaner once I'm done?
I guess I don't understand why I need to use wax remover if everything is getting sanded.

Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to wax & grease remover?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:07 pm
You don't want to sand contaminents into your metal is why. I don't know if you have it where you are but we have "Tumbler" up here which is a cheaper wax and greae remover.
Rob

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:15 pm
Never heard of Tumbler. Will rubbing alcohol or ammonia work?
I'm not cheap, I'm just too lazy to run to the store rite now. :)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:26 pm
Sure dude, just chuck ammonia on there. A little gas (premium) even? If nothing else it'll be fun for a re-do if/when everything de-laminates.

There is no place for skimping when painting. Lazy/cheap just doesn't work well, and usually results in a re-do, at a greater cost than doing it right. Why bother?
my 2c

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 pm
the alcohol/ammonia mixture that some guys use is usually for a post sanding cleaner. its not a w&g remover. it works for removing fingerprint, silicones, dirt and grime. you need to get wax and oils off the paint before you sand otherwise your sanding any wax on the car into the paint or scratches.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:15 pm
makes enuff sense to me... thanks as always for the info.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 pm
I have been building and painting cars for 43 years. I have never heard of sanding contaminants into the steel. When I sand, I am sanding stuff OFF not IN TO! A cheap G & W remover is Naptha or mineral spirits. If you have sanded to the metal, you won't need to worry about wax or grease. You would have sanded all of it off. You would just need something to remove the finger prints and body oils off the surface before applying any paint or primer. Alcohol (rubbing) works well. Most rubbing alcohol comes with 70 % water already mixed in it. So you can just use it straight out of the bottle.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 pm
i do collision work.i paint 30 cars a week.my helper cleans the panel with water based cleaner before he sands the car so he can see what hes up against.we just need to see the panel.the first time these cars see w&g remover is in the booth.i have very few contamination problems.when we come across a car with alot of silicone we scrub it,scrub it,with a simple car wash.the post before me was correct.if you sanded all the paint off,the contaminants are in your lungs,not the steel.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 pm
I didn't even wash my car before I sanded it, one year later the new paint is still good. I used wax and grease remover on it after I sanded it just before I shot the primer.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am
i wash with wax and grease remover then wash with soap. i will sometimes use a pressure washer allso before i start sanding. maybe i don't need to but it makes me feel better :) i think if your doing a panel repair and maybe a blend and the car has maybe been waxed several times or has some of that super wax the dealers put on. your just asking for trouble if you don't pre clean with w/g remover same with a compleat.
Next

Return to Body and Paint