Rocker panel rust

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:06 pm
I have a 2002 silverado tha the rocker panels are rusting out. Last year I discovered this and found some small rust holes. It looked as if it was from the inside out so I sanded off the rust and filled the rocker panels with great stuff for a filler and to displace the air so it couldn't rust again.I then found out about por 15 and painted this on after cleaning the area with some thinner and a rag to displace any water or dirt. I then painted it after prime coat and then used a can of rocker panel chip guard as well. Now it is rusting on the surface right over the por 15 and the chip guard. Is there any reson for this? Can I stop it? I also thought about getting new rocker panel's but I am not sure how hard it is to cut and weld them. The por 15 worked just fine on the frame no problems. Pics can be seen at this site : http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/garage ... l&p=111057

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:35 pm
yep they rust from the inside out. i could'nt open the pictures but if you have a wire welder and a grinder and a drill rockers arn't that hard to replace. if you don't find more rust. :)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:12 am
Next time don't use any of that Great Stuff. There is nothing Great about spray foam and autobody. VW used that crap in the C-pillars on the Beetles and I guarantee you won't find a '74 Beetle that doesn't have a rotten C-pillar because of it. The spray foam traps condensation up against the panel and accelerates rust. Its better to have a hollow panel that has been waterproof, with the drain holes intact to allow water and dirt to flow out. You can use Rocker Shutz or undercoating sprayed through a tube to waterproof the inside of hollow areas like rockers, frames, etc.

Best way to fix it is to cut out and replace with new, welded in.
Otherwise you could always fiberglass it, but that is a shoddy repair.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:07 am
Yea great stuff was a bad idea but I am still not sure why there is all the surface rust after using POR 15. I hope to at least keep the surface rust down untill I can take a class and learn how to cut and replace the rockers.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 am
Not trying to scold you, just trying to teach...so please don't take offense! :) POR15 is only good for painting over mild surface rust or blasted surfaces. If you do like the instructions say and "paint over rust" it WILL come back. Panels that have heavy rust and are coated over with POR15 or similar materials will almost always rust back out within 1-3 years. The problem is the POR type material cannot seal the edges and completely seal out moisture and air, especially if any is trapped under the coating. Rust needs 3 things to live: moisture, air, bare metal. The only way to ensure this is if its clean metal that has been properly prepped (either media blasted or sanded). These days I use Epoxy on floors, frames, etc. I used to be a big fan of POR and similar chemicals, but have found they never fully harden and since they are a 1K product, they are not as chemical resistant (spills/leaks).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 pm
Duramax, I couldn't open the pics either, but don't
be surprised once you open up the rockers the rust
is worse than you thought.

Badly rusty rockers usuallly coincide with rust all
along the lower side, and you might have nothing
solid left to weld new rockers to. Especially if it's a
rust belt truck.
Just be prepared.....
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 am
NightTrain wrote:Duramax, I couldn't open the pics either, but don't
be surprised once you open up the rockers the rust
is worse than you thought.

Badly rusty rockers usuallly coincide with rust all
along the lower side, and you might have nothing
solid left to weld new rockers to. Especially if it's a
rust belt truck.
Just be prepared.....

I am lucky enough to still have some metal there if I move quickly enough. The rust holes were small but they do worry me. As far as the pics does anyone know of a good site to post them to? I think that the place I have them may be a member only site.
vwbobby I do not take any offence I am looking for a fix to end this untill I can replace them. Would getting the pannels blasted help and should I use an etching solution do any good?Por 15 did wonders on the frame. I just wire brushed it down and went over it with chasis coat for a finish.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am
duramax wrote: . . . As far as the pics does anyone know of a good site to post them to? I think that the place I have them may be a member only site.

You may just need to check your site's preferences and select the "share this album" mode. If that doesn't work you can set up a free Photobucket account.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 am
Photobucket and Imageshack are both good free sites to post pics to. Use the IMG buttons in the post reply box to post links to the pics.

AS far as blasting the rockers goes, sure it couldn't hurt! However, if the rockers have holes in them already and are full of cancer (rust/holes), might as well do a temporary fix until you can afford/have time to do the correct repair. You can also do nothing at all until you fix it right, but don't let it sit more than a year to prevent further rot/damage.

On panels that have a few holes, pits, and general surface rust - blasting is a good idea. Clean blasted metal can be welded to and painted on to your heart's content. If its full of holes and cancer, the best repair is to replace the whole panel. Often a new panel is anywhere from $20-100 and by the time you factor your labor - your are money ahead by starting with new panels. If QUALITY new panels are not available (as often as it is with VWs), then goood original rot free (surface rust ok!) panels are as best as you can do. Depends on how old and desirable the vehicle is, as to if new aftermarket panels are avaible of good quality.

Oh and as far as etch goes - skip it! Just use epoxy or use POR15's full treatment including the metal ready (etching solution). Otherwise epoxy applied to bare, clean, prepped metal is near bulletproof!!! It is also at least 2x more durable and chip resistant than POR15, not to mention rust and chemical proof, so to speak,

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:21 pm
Thanks to all for the photobucket idea. I hope this goes in. If so I will post more pics. This is a 2002 Chevy Silverado aka Silverusto :wink: . I will be replacing the rockers within a year. I sprayed the bed with a 2 part epoxy and love it. The only problem is it only comes in gallon sizes. Anyone know where to get smaller amounts? Is there only one type for autobody or could I use anything? http://img717.imageshack.us/g/silverusto.jpg/
Next

Return to Body and Paint