Oxy/Ace welding cutting.... Need help

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 pm
A friend of mine gave me the hoses with torch and several tips. I only want to use this for cutting. I have read that you can use propaine and oxygen for cutting. This would be ideal because it would only leave me finding an oxygen tank.

Question: why are both propaine and oxygen needed? How do you know about the proper valve adjustments so you arent getting to much of one or the other?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:15 pm
:shock: Propane :shock:

Should be acyline and Oxy.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 am
That's what I thought too!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4840200_use-pro ... rches.html
Apparently you can use propane without problems, although its not nearly as hot.

I use oxy/acetylene myself.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am
Steven,,,If you have never used acyline and Oxy set up before,,,BE VERY CAREFUL!!! YOU CAN BLOW YOUR SELF UP!
You should do a LOT of research before you even light the torch!
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:57 pm
stevenf wrote: Question: why are both propaine and oxygen needed? How do you know about the proper valve adjustments so you arent getting to much of one or the other?

Propane is a fuel and will not burn without the presence of oxygen. In your gas grill, the propane pulls oxygen from the air for combustion. In a torch, pure oxygen is supplied allowing for a hotter flame.

For setting the valve adjustments on a torch you need to start reading.
http://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_handbook/589oxy2_1.htm

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 8:34 am
I took a tig welding class last summer at a community college here in Houston. School used propane for their cutting torches as well as the trac-torches and we were cutting 3/8" plate. Propane is much cheaper for the school and worked just fine although the instructors said Acetylene does burn much hotter and cuts easier.

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:46 am
Hey There

I work for a welding supply company and used to be a welder myself.You can use the torch your freind gave you no problem. You just have to make sure you have a propane tip. ( usually a 2 piece design) as far as pressure settings a ball park figure is 5PSI on the propane reg and 40PSI on the oxygen. The only way you can really blow yourself up is if your setup is leaking and it is in a confined space. Hope this helps

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am
,,you didn't say anything about oil? It wont blow you up,,,but it will start a fire.

NEVER use any oil on your fittings or any part of the system.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:42 pm
I worked construction for 35 years. Whenever I got on a job that used propane torches I always quickly decided that either the company was very inexperienced, or very cheap. Propane works well for very light work, but nothing beats acetylene, nothing.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm
Resurrecting an old thread which caught my interest.
I used both propane and acetylene, the biggest difference is, you get cleaner welds with acetylene. In actuality, while acetylene burns hotter than propane, oxy/propane burns hotter than oxy/acetylene.
Also, you could save a lot of cash by using an oxygen concentrator instead of tanks. I used one of those for a long time before selling my gas welding equipment. Bought it used on craigslist for $100.
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab