how to spray clear with no orange peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 pm
Primer/sealer applied , basecoat (PPG DBC) applied. I will be spraying clear tomorrow evening , using PPG DC3000 , with reducer due to the high heat conditions in my booth. I will be spraying with a Sharpe Cobalt HVLp. I need some tips about how to best avoid orange peel. When I sprayed this same car years ago , this is where I ran into problems , and it seemed like I spent the next 6 weeks sanding/buffing all the orange peel out. I would really like to avoid this ! The gun has a 1.6 fluid tip , and my compressor doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up , so I guess it's going to be all about technique. All input greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:59 pm
i would try a test panel, if it not going on smooth then reduce just a little. if its hot use a slow reducer or you can try turning up the air pressure a little. better to get this down on a test panel before you start on your car. :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:29 pm
dc 3000 has a short window , flash time in between coats is 3 to 5 min. If you are in high heat I would use dcu2002 or 2021. they have a longer working time . With 2021 you can use dt895 reducer with dc 3000 no reducer it will blush on you and you will get a lot of dry spray.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:56 am
1.6 seems pretty big... I had one of these guns a long time ago and I have upgrades since then. I dont remember the settings I used, but I dont think the tip was quite that big...I would make sure you dont have the material open too far.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 am
Your fluid tip is to big for one thing. I would use a 1.4-1.5
I cant remember the numbers for the PPG clear, but make sure its for an all over job. You dont want it to fast. Slower is better.

I never did like an HVLP for spraying clear, or anything else............................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:36 pm
ok , I got the ppg 2021 and the 1.4 fluid tip . I test sprayed ,and then shot the decklid , and discovered another problem : uneven base.it striped It looks like the doors did as well. I will be sanding everything again , and starting over . Before I do , I want to make sure all my air settings are correct . I see where everything on an HVLP gun is judged "at the cap ".Please tell me how I measure this. I currently only have a regulator at the gun.Additionally , how can I avoid the uneveness on my basecoat. It looks like although my pattern was correct ,I applied it way too dry . I painted this car 10 years ago , with this same gun and did not have these issues(had different issues !)Thanks again

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:34 pm
you my want to check your reducer for your base if its to fast and with your high heat you'll have problems
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 pm
What size air compressor do you have? (what cfm at 35psi ) with the trigger pulled set your regulator at 30-35psi. this should give you 10psi at the cap. 6 to 8 inches from work . for met. use a 75 % overlap ( 10" pattern drop down 2.5" ) solid colors 50 % overlap. Reducer should dt 885 or dt 890 for hot temps. any outher questions your gun set go to www.sharp1.com ask dr gun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:41 pm
Like ODG said, slower is better.
When I paint a bumper and don't want to buff I use the slowest
activator and reducer, and when it's hot, I can even add some
retarder and it will stay wet a long time.
If you can spray it lightly so it doesn't run, and keep the dirt out of it,
it'll look like a sheet of glass.

Another way is it clear it, sand it, then clear it again (flow coat)
It always comes out slicker when clearing over clear.

And last, but not least:
Pour it on from the can untill it runs off- there'll be no peel. :shock:
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 pm
jc, he will need to cut the drips off though :lol: :lol: :lol:
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint