Painting a Jeep Wrangler Hardtop

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 pm
Hiya Folks,
Looking forward to painting my Jeep's hardtop once I get the body all base/cleared. My plan was to wash the top throroughly with dawn, scuff it up a bit using probably a maroon scuff pad, then either shooting a)epoxy followed by color or b) go straight to color. It's made of fiberglass and is textured. So my questions are these. Should I epoxy or just go straight to color? Should I do a base/Clear or single stage? Either way I would expect I will need flattener in the color/clear as the tops aren't glossy. Any recommendations on flattener's/amount/etc....? I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project!
Thanks for the help.
Cheers,
cc

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:03 pm
is it going to be black or the same as the body? i've done several to mach the body like red body gloss red on the top. here's the way, i usualy wipe them down real good with wax and grease remover. then take your maroon (red) scotch brite pad and some comet cleaner or soft scrub and water and rub and scrub till your arms fall off :lol: then wash good with dish soap and let it dry. now i use to use dupont sealer but now epoxy mixed as a sealer would probibly be my choice. if you want it flat i think you can get semi gloss clear someone else will have to help out here.i've used flatener added to your paint before with so so results :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 pm
Thanks Badsix. It's actually the Spice color which contrasts with the Moss Green of the Jeep. Thanks for the inputs.
Cheers,
cc

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm
that color combo should be cool 8) 8)
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint