Primer by Brush

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 am
Can I apply 2K primer with a brush? When I final sand my car, I keep burning through in a few spots, always edges. Can I simply brush on my 2K primer thick where I need it, sand the next day, then paint a few days later?

My main question is whether I would have any adhesion problems, either primer to metal or paint to primer.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe K
'68 Datsun Roadster 2000

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:17 pm
If put on thick, it will crack up or lift, maybe not now but after you get down the road. If you need it thick you spray thin coats on and allow to dry in between coats. If you are needing it extrememly thick, you need to keep working on the bondo or whatever your using. 2K primer is not meant to fix and fill deep dents, fix the dents, get smooth as possible and then use 2K, then final sand the 2K and your work is smooth.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:17 pm
Alot of paint companies now make a roll on surfacer that works pretty well. And I've heard that Sherwin Williams makes a great primer that you put on with a squeegee. But if you're just going through on the edges, I don't really think you need to put on more primer surfacer. You can probably just spot in the bare metal with a little etch primer(even the kind in a spray bomb). Most sealers are ok to apply over minor breakthroughs also if you plan on putting sealer over the car.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:09 am
Glad you brought this up as I finished sanding my primered bike tank yesterday and had a couple of burn throughs. I was also wondering if I should airbrush some primer or if I could use a brush, The primer is HOK 21 epoxy. The etching primer I have in a can is laquer based. bc/cc will be urethane Will it cause any problems to use the laquer based primer with the epoxy?

Return to Body and Paint