What Size Paint Tip and/or Gun?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:31 pm
Hey! How ya' doing!

just got a daily driver/project in September (1974 Stingray)

My first question of 3 is which tip size do I want for a touch up spray gun?
At this point in time I only have a pancake compressor (for a nail gun) to work with.
(the compressor won't handle a regular auto paint gun for more than a minute or two at a shot)

What I want is to fix the interior scratches and chips.

This is what I am thinking since I am almost a hobbyist.

1 -
High volume low pressure technology applies paint with less force, this lets more paint stay on the surface and less bounce off into the air.

# Operating pressure 50 - 70PSI.
# Air consumption 1.6 - 4.0CFM.
# Compressor required 2 - 3HP.
# Nozzle size 0.8MM.
# Cup volume 125CC.
# Air inlet 1/4NPT.
# Meets New Environmental Regulations.
Link To The Gun

2 -
Nozzles Included (qty.)
Required CFM
7 - 9
Air Inlet Size (in. NPT)
1/4
Nozzle Size (mm)
Paint Cup Size (oz.) 20 1/4 I am aware that this is a fairly big cup - but since it is gravity feed would a nail gun compressor push this well enough?

Paint Cup Material
Plastic

Link To The Gun

3 -
Professional Grade 1.7mm HVLP Air Spray Gun with Gun Metal Finish

Link To The Gun

These are the 3 I am considering with the understanding that once the dash and touch up is done - I probably won't use it for years ... if ever.

Second Question of 3 how do I touch up worn chrome edging on the dash and the directional vent parts?
I have not found a method which works well yet.
I have experimented on an old De Ville with touch-up silver paint from an auto parts store - it looked really terrible and blotchy!

Third Question of 3 anyone familiar with fiberglass who would allow me to pester?
This car has body repairs which are less than desirable and some may only need to be (in part) sanded down ... not certain.

Also - there seems to be some type of difference in fiberglass material used in repairs between the Vette's which are a few years older and my 1974.

... I really don't want to mess this up ... too much! :mrgreen:
{{{ UNDECIDED SIG SPOT}}}

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 am
On question one. The compressor you have, while not the best or even a good choice, should work for small touchups using any size gun. One thing you need to watch out for is moisture in the air. Those compressors run often and usually accumulate lots of moisture. You need to use some type of water separator to get rid of it. If I were going to use that compressor I would let it fill the tank then let it sit for a couple hours before spraying.
The first gun would be perfect for what you're going to do. The second and third are more for putting alot of material down fast or thicker primers. Not what you're looking for.
Second question. I've never used this kit, but it looks like what you might need to touch up the chrome. I can't offer any advice on using it or if it really works, just heard about it.
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/plugnplate.htm
Third question. Do you have any pictures of the questionable repairs? Also, if you're planning on painting panels on the exterior, that gun isn't recommended because it will take a while to finish and the compressor won't be able to keep up with the touch up gun or a bigger gun if you got one to paint the outside.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:42 am
Thank you for the reply!

As for the plating - I did not explain it right ... will post a photo in just a moment of what I mean about the chrome.

as for question #3 ... I just took a few photo's to show a few of the spots - it's cloudy at the moment so these turned out shabby!
Attachments
BDYRepair1.jpg
this is driver front near top of the soon to be replaced front plastic bumper
(bumper is far left)
BDYRepair2.jpg
the first circle is where it is cracking again ... other 2 are messed up repairs.
BDYRepair3.jpg
the free hand loop is the top edge on passenger side where the repair is cracking
other is a poorly formed repair

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am
this is one of the things that need to be refurbished ...
IF I COULD learn this ... bet I could make a killing at it as a hobby! :mrgreen:
had a 70 De Ville convertible with the same problem all over the dash and even tried to find something like a silver colored gold leaf type technique - used a silver touch up paint on that ... but failed to maintain a crisp line on the raised dash edges. the edges were too small to tape off (tried taping it off pinstripe tape - that didn't work either)
Attachments
BDYRepair4.jpg
it's plastic and the chrome (paint??) has gotten real scratched up and the thin trim edges really worn out looking!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 am
It's difficult to tell from the pictures. It could be a good repair, just not finished properly. It's possible that all it needs is some body filler, but I would sand/grind the paint to see what the repair looks like. I've never been around any of those older cars with glass bodies. Most of my fiberglass experience is with boats. I've seen on boats that old some areas that will deform similarly to what's in the pictures. Are you sure there was a repair there? Has the car been repainted?

With the chrome, if you can take the vents out there are some companies that make rattle can chrome paint. Might be the easiest way to fix it.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:17 am
Whatever you do with the body, judging from the pictures, it's going to take alot of filler, primer and blocking to make it right.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am
Waylon wrote:It's difficult to tell from the pictures. It could be a good repair, just not finished properly. It's possible that all it needs is some body filler, but I would sand/grind the paint to see what the repair looks like. I've never been around any of those older cars with glass bodies. Most of my fiberglass experience is with boats. I've seen on boats that old some areas that will deform similarly to what's in the pictures. Are you sure there was a repair there? Has the car been repainted?

With the chrome, if you can take the vents out there are some companies that make rattle can chrome paint. Might be the easiest way to fix it.

I am almost in the same boat as you ... but my boat experience is in reefing old seams and dutch patches on wood boats and new boat decks at a Bayliner plant in Northern Washington state.

As for the repair ... they are in line with where the ends are re-cracking

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:30 am
Waylon wrote:Whatever you do with the body, judging from the pictures, it's going to take alot of filler, primer and blocking to make it right.

these problem spots are only about an inch wide and 4 to 9 inch long for the most part - just part of the prep to get the car ready for paint.
Attachments
C-Vette1.jpg
the $4,500.00 project car
C-Vette1.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 9363 times

Return to Tools and Supplies