Kirker Jet black

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 pm
Thinking about repainting my car with the kirker super jet black start to finish urethane clear/base kit. I want a deep, dark black with high luster. Has anyone used this kit? How is the coverage? (and yes, I will make sure to spend LOTS of time on prep, I already tried cheaper gloss black and I understand how it shows every single mistake, divet, bump, ect.) How is the shine? I have read that doing like 6 coats of clear and then color sanding and buffing will make black paint pop even more than just like 3 coats, is this true or just garbage? Thanks guys.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:19 pm
3 or 10 coats of clear will not improve the shine or gloss. The gloss is going to come from how well you prepped the substrates and how well you cut and buff. The Kirker is good paint and will cover well. However, with Kirker you will need to use their basecoat converter. You won't be disappointed with Kirker. For the money, it good paint.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:27 pm
countilaw wrote:3 or 10 coats of clear will not improve the shine or gloss. The gloss is going to come from how well you prepped the substrates and how well you cut and buff. The Kirker is good paint and will cover well. However, with Kirker you will need to use their basecoat converter. You won't be disappointed with Kirker. For the money, it good paint.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars

Thanks for the feedback, I kinda figured the clear coat thing was just a gimmick. Why is the basecoat converter necessary with this paint though? Just out of curiosity.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:42 pm
The last 2 complete paint jobs I did were black. The first was PPG base/clear, and the second PPG single stage. I was at Goodguys Columbus at the PPG tent, and asking questions, in preparation for my next black paint job. I saw 2 stunning black cars just outside their tent, and asked the rep about them. He told me that they were both single stage black. He was a painter, as well as a rep, and was very knowledgable. He said he thought that for a non metallic color, using a clear was a waste of time and money. He then showed me a red corvette that was also single stage. By that time I was convinced. I did my car in the single stage, and it is incredible. For the home hobbyist (like me and most of us here) there are 2 huge benefits to single stage. First of all, it is cheaper,because you don't have to buy clear, reducer, and hardener. I bought a gallon of black for about $200.00 (this was maybe 2 years ago). Secondly, because most of us don't have a paint booth, any junk that settles in your paint can easily be color sanded out, and then buffed. The base/clear drove me crazy because in the last coat of base I got dust nibs in the trunk and hood. If you de nib, you need to re shoot the base, and if you try to bury the nib with clear you take the chance that it will still be visible. I started wet sanding with #800, and worked up through 1000,1200,1500,2000 before the final buff and polish, and the finish is just amazing. The PPG stuff is really user friendly, and seems to wear really well. I can't tell you how many times I have been stopped at the gas station, car cruises, etc and asked about the paint job. Good luck with your project!!
Life is short. Play hard.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:24 pm
I've seen some amazing Enamel w/o clear and single stage urethane paint jobs over the years.The last nice one I recall was called "The Rumbler".It was a totally custom hot rod Rambler.If I remember right it was painted black enamel.The car had one of the nicest paint jobs I've ever seen.I think it was built by Troy Trepanier.I had pictures at one time but can't seem to locate them.I believe Boyd Coddington also had some single stage paint cars.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 am
Any of the Kirker urethanes can be clear coated as is, no problem.
(acording to their tech sheets)
That's how I did my car too.
I used their urethane and cleared it with ********** clear,
(only becuase I like the ********** clear better).
It's been over 3 yrs now and it still looks like new.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint