Removing tape lines?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm
Hey guys, I'm trying to do several spot repairs on a friends car. I am used to doing panel resprays but it is not really applicable in this situation. I have areas that need filler due to small dents and I would like to sand down, apply 2k primer and then paint over with matching paint. Unfortunately I will be using a white singlestage and the oem paint has probably oxidized a bit so it will not be an exact match. I think I can handle the blending but I want to reduce tape lines with the 2k primer. Since I am looking at a building primer to fill in some little imperfections in the factory paint. Last time I did a spot panel job (with a spraycan, was all I had available), I primerd with filler primer, wet sanded with 400 then 600 to blend in the primer and get rid of the tape lines. I would rather not do this again either. Any tips? Thanks guys!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:37 pm
Roll (lift) the edge of the tape so you don't have a hard line.

-Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:00 pm
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into that! Do you have any suggestions for good brands of tapes? I've been using general use masking tape and it is rather hard to remove after being soaked in solvents and sometimes baked onto the surface.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 pm
rule no. 1 in auto body and painting buy good quality tape like 3m. i know its expensive, but would you rather take 3 days to unmask a car. i did and i will never use cheep tape agin :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:51 am
badsix wrote:rule no. 1 in auto body and painting buy good quality tape like 3m. i know its expensive, but would you rather take 3 days to unmask a car. i did and i will never use cheep tape agin :)

Is there a certain line of 3M tape that's better for painting? I'm pretty sure I've used just regular 3M masking tape (off white/tan stuff) and had some problems, but then again, it was on the windows for a bit (doh) :rolleyes:

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:01 am
I always use the green tape. It is a little more expensive, but with what paint/primer costs, this is not the place to cut corners. And as an added bonus, the green color is so bright that it makes it easier to create a really sharp line (say if you are masking off some chrome) because of the contrast.
Life is short. Play hard.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:14 am
I see lots of sprayers rolling back there tape not to get a hard edge of primer ,then follow on by masking out there rolled edge tape .if you are saving money on tape.You can just tape it as normal ,BUT and we all over look it Don't spray up to your masking tape.SO simple .2328 3m tape
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:24 pm
sorry for not leaving more info :whoops: but i see we had good follow up :happy: i normaly use 3m tan colored tape. i but it at my paint jobber but don't know the number, i just go in and say gimmie. recenly i've been using the 3m green, but i like the tan better the green acts like it has to much sticky on it. it doesn't reel off of my paper machine smooth like the tan did :)
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 am
1. if you hard line the primer you can always wet sand it back and feather edge it.

2. what i normally do is put tape down. then slowly and lightly peel the edge closest to the repair up, so all around the repair the tape is halfway unattached and sticking in the air. then i attach my paper or plastic to the tape that sticking in the air. normally paper i always put paper next to my repair for a good 6 inches then i'll do plastic. what this does is it just "dusts" the area down by the tape with primer so you don't get a high build up or "hard line". once you get it primed and pealed back hit the edge of the primer with some wet 600 just to knock the un needed dust off and clean up the job and you'll be good.

3. go to a automotive paint supply store. i use the blue and green style 3m and have no issues. i use the 1/8 blue on flames and lines alot.

Good Luck with the job and keep us updated! Pictures are always great!

MPS.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:46 pm
[quote="Missouripaintslinger"]1. if you hard line the primer you can always wet sand it back and feather edge it.
if you did that you would still see the line .When you sprayed it.The actual hard line eats in the paint.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.
Next

Return to Body and Paint