4 door jetta to 2 door

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 am
I just found this forum and am excited to have a place to show all my fun side projects I do at home, to people who can appreciate the work involved.
Ive been in the collision industry for 8 years now and its nice to have something different to work on everyday, but i get the itch for the fun custom stuff all the time. I'm an avid German car enthusiast so 95% of my side work comes from those forums. This is a Jetta That was T-boned on the driver side and I used all OEM panels from a VW GTI (hatchback) to convert it to a 2 door coupe. This Generation Jetta was never made from the factory as a 2 door. The car already had air suspension installed when I got it and I did not do the final paint work on it. Here is a pictorial timeline of the build.

shaved the antenna

shaved the rear enmlem

pulled all 4 wheel wells a bit wider and got rid of the body line

shaved the body seam

This is how the rockers look stock

Then i filled the body line and the jack point dimples, cut the fender and used it to extend the rocker for a cleaner look.

The whole car was then Primed with PPG K36 and blocked.
this is the final result with new wheels as well.

Feel free to ask any questions :pcorn:

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 am
Now that is some fine work...those weld-ins are amazing and the final result, dark color and all...wow!

Thanks for sharing it with us.

-Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 am
Very impressive!! Your metal working skills are amazing. From your photos it looks like the structure for the 2 and 4 door are very similar. Over the years I have seen people try to attempt to do what you have done, and most of the time it looks weird because the proportions are off-but in your case, your finished car looks like a longer 2 door car. The only other stock car I have seen with similar proportions is the mid 90's Saturn with the short rear door on the drivers side. Once again, congrats for thinking outside the box and putting together one amazing ride!! :clap:
Life is short. Play hard.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:26 am
nice work someday maybe i can be 1/4 as good as you. Where you at in Wa state. I'm in Hoquiam.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:51 pm
Wow man just wow!!!
Great color, great work!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Oh and only question I have, is there any more pics of the girl? lol j/k.........

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:13 pm
The car is very clean and something to be proud of. Did you consider secition a portion of the car out to cut back on the length? of course drivetrain modification would of had to of followed. but none the less good work!!!!

MPS
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm
oldtrkguy wrote:nice work someday maybe i can be 1/4 as good as you. Where you at in Wa state. I'm in Hoquiam.

I live in Bonney Lake.

missouripaintslinger wrote:The car is very clean and something to be proud of. Did you consider secition a portion of the car out to cut back on the length? of course drivetrain modification would of had to of followed. but none the less good work!!!!

MPS

The jettas and the hatch backs have the same wheelbase. Actually they are the same car except for the roof line and one having a trunk vs. a hatch.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:51 pm
That's some nice work there man!looks clean... :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Akrett wrote:
oldtrkguy wrote:nice work someday maybe i can be 1/4 as good as you. Where you at in Wa state. I'm in Hoquiam.

I live in Bonney Lake.

missouripaintslinger wrote:The car is very clean and something to be proud of. Did you consider secition a portion of the car out to cut back on the length? of course drivetrain modification would of had to of followed. but none the less good work!!!!

MPS

The jettas and the hatch backs have the same wheelbase. Actually they are the same car except for the roof line and one having a trunk vs. a hatch.

Didn't know that! i figured the base was a lil different.
MissouriPaintSlinger

Do it right the first time.
Enjoy it for twice as long

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:21 pm
Just wondering how you re-inforced the pillars from the golf - the body panel that cut-out seemed a bit flimsy.

Really cool mod though and excellent work!
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects