Can body filler be applied over sanded down paint?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:42 pm
I have alot of small dents in my car I need to repair before I paint and they are not accessible from behind ( dime sized dents). I have good condition paint that i will be sanding with 220 grit and prime/painting over. The spots that require body filler, do I have to sand the areas down to metal for the body filler to adhere properly, or can I sand everything down using my 220 then just apply body filler as needed afterwards?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:29 pm
If they are not too deep you can use a polyester filler or primer

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:22 pm
Yes,,,you should sand the areas down to bare metal for the body filler to adhere properly.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:16 am
Have you considered learning to use a hammer and dolly to remove these small dents? This way you end up with less body filler on the car. I am learning to use a hammer and dolly or slapper and dolly at the current time. It takes patience but it is worth the time. Search for hammer and/or dolly on this site for some help. I bought that little red book called The Key to Metal Bumping which has been helpful. Also check out the forum on metalmeet.com for more help.

I realize that you may not be able to get to the back side of every dent.

One more learning topic that goes with metal bumping is the shrinking disc. You may not need it for small dents but areas that have been stretched may require some amount of shrinking.

Corrections or additions are welcome.

Hope this helps,
Paul Lohr

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 am
PLohr wrote:Have you considered learning to use a hammer and dolly to remove these small dents? This way you end up with less body filler on the car. I am learning to use a hammer and dolly or slapper and dolly at the current time. It takes patience but it is worth the time. Search for hammer and/or dolly on this site for some help. I bought that little red book called The Key to Metal Bumping which has been helpful. Also check out the forum on metalmeet.com for more help.

I realize that you may not be able to get to the back side of every dent.

One more learning topic that goes with metal bumping is the shrinking disc. You may not need it for small dents but areas that have been stretched may require some amount of shrinking.

Corrections or additions are welcome.

Hope this helps,
Paul Lohr

All the dents that were accessible have been dolly'd already by my dealerships dent guy, all thats left are dents in the hood under the hood skeleton then a couple in very inconvenient places on the rear quarter. All my dents are very shallow, i would guess only 1/16 inch deep maybe? mostly on the hood, looks like some acorns felt on it maybe.

I purchased Bondo Gold for filler. I guess ill grind the paint off down to metal for all my filler areas, thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm
why not

ruff up with 180

apply filler

rub down with 180 500 the rest of the aria

apply primer

guide coat rub down

base

clear

finsh
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:46 pm
I use the dry guide coat too. (Good stuff)
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:23 pm
ODG, I thought you can put rage filler on primer, not just bare metal?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:57 am
If they're very shallow dents like you describe, you can get away with a product like USC Icing or Evercoat Metal Glaze. I wouldn't fill anything over 1/8"deep with it though.

Don't fill over anything finer than 180-grit. I know you can, but its not safe. Usually 60-180 grit is fine.

Nice blend/repair Paintpot! :)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:54 am
Im going to sand my dents down with 60grit as far as I can go by hand without getting too tired ;-)

then apply filler and sand smooth, then 220 the whole panel before I prime

Return to Body and Paint