Do you need to use adhesive promoter on Plastic

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:44 am
Just curious about this one, must you use adhesion promoter on plastic or is there a primer that applies directly to plastic?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 am
I don't know of any primer that adheres to plastic. I use adhesion promoter for plastic every time. Its a must!
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 am
I sure wouldn't skip it. Plastics are made in molds which means that either a mold release is being used or worse the mold release is actually part of the chemistry of the part itself. When you're using the promoter you're getting rid of that slick surface and giving your paint a chance to "bite" into the plastic.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:29 am
I used it when I prepped the panels for my bike but found it to be a bot of a PIA because it didn't go on very smooth. I used the Bull Dog rattle can adhesion promoter. What type do you all use?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 am
I use Sherwin Williams in the rattle can for small jobs. (They make a clear primer.)
I cleared the tail lights on my Van about two years ago, they still look brand new.

Take your time with plastic primers and let them flash. If you paint over it to soon, you will have a mess. Medium light coats,,not to heavy.

"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:41 am
This is what I use

http://www.lesonal.asia/lesonal/AP/Prod ... rimer.aspx

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:08 pm
I always use it, to me is like cheap insurance never had any problems with it, non of the plastic bumpers I have painted have shown any sort of peeling
I have used the bulldog and worked good for me and now I am using transtar works good as well but only time would tell on the transtar ..

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:28 am
in the UK they call it a plastic primer (its usually clear); it may well be the same as adhesion promoters but we get those here too.

and yes you do need it otherwise the paint will come off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:28 am
Thanks guys. I guess next time I will skip the rattle can adhesion promoter and get one I can shoot with my primer gun.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 am
There is nothing wrong with adhesion promotors in the can. Personally I wouldn't mess with filling my primer gun with the stuff unless I had a substantial amount of plastic to cover. Just more work to clean up everything and I don't want anything in my guns except paint.
Next

Return to Body and Paint