1969 F100

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:02 pm
Hello. I am a new member but have been reading information from everyone for a while on here. Thanks for taking the time to help others.
I would consider my skill level as a beginner, everything I know I have learned some from my dad and this website. I really enjoy it and hope to continue to progress my skills. The project I will be working on over the next few years is a '69 ford f100 pickup. I am planning major suspension changes (air bags) and body and paint. Truck was in pretty good condition so shouldn't be too bad. Here is some of the work I have been doing on body and when I get some pics I will show some of the progress with the suspension. Thanks for looking.
008.JPG
fender primed and blocked
009.JPG
019.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:12 pm
036.JPG
037.JPG
043.JPG
045.JPG
047.JPG

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 am
Nice - I've got a '67 and need to do the exact same squares on my doors

Stephen

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:39 pm
Right on, do you have som pics on here? Yes of all these trucks I have seen the bottom of the doors really seams to be a problem area for rust.

I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. I have used HOK primer and have sanded to recomended grit for the sealer. However it will be quite some time before I finish the rest of the body work and am ready to paint. do I have to re sand these areas or is it okay to go ahead and apply the sealer after panels have sat for some time? Thank You

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:44 pm
I don't know exactly what you mean by HOK primer, HOK is a brand name and primer is very generic. Hopefully it's epoxy primer which is what you want over bare metal or filler. Anyway you don't want to shoot sealer now, if at all. If you're not going to paint for a while you would have to sand it anyway and that really isn't the purpose of using a sealer. I work slow, I do my metal welding and any bumping, do the filler work and spray it with epoxy primer and then move on to the next panel. When it's all done like that you can assemble and do the final priming/blocking.

... oh and buy a cheap bodywork hammer/dolly set if you can, I'm sure you can get something for $20 or so at a discount place, (claw hammers don't look quite right in pics like this :wink: ) and the dolly plays a huge role in moving metal so you'll need those anyway
Last edited by rjuhasz on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:07 pm
okay thanks for the advise. I will pick up the proper tools, was just using what I had at the time. by HOK I meant house of kolor. it is KP2CF Epoxy Primer Surfacer. From what I understand it is a hybrid epoxy surfacer sort of suppose to save a step i guess. I really like it so far and sands really easy as well.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:15 pm
I'm not familiar with that exact product, epoxy primer has a zinc in it that prevents rust, high build primer typically does not, but I'm old and not up on all the new products. My point there was, if you aren't painting right away you'll have to sand the last thing you put on it regardless of what it is. Wasn't getting on your case about the tools either but for the cheap price, you can at least get the crappy, but correct tools and you will appreciate it. :goodjob:
Rob

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 pm
Absolutely I appreciate the input, as I am here to learn.
thank you

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:07 am
Looks like you are doing a great job!. I'm currently re-painting my 74 F250 4X4 (going on 2 yrs now), and I had rust in the same area, along with the cowl area and bed floor. I don't have pics of the patch panels I welded in, but here are pics of the finished doors. I too am an amature at best, but slowly learning. Keep posting pics as you progress.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:37 pm
They look nice - what did you paint those with ?

Stephen
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects