Holes to weld shut...

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:04 pm
Last edited by OldDupontGuy on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Daz,,,with a hole this small your copper penny trick is not needed.

Its just a tiny hole guys,,It takes about a second to fix this.

Good GOD! There is no need to have 27 post on how to weld a 1/8" hole with a MIG welder..................... remember,,this is AutoBody101,,,not "Advanced Welding Technology".

I agree it is a tiny hole but an inexperienced welder could easily blow it into a bigger one so I think my suggestion of a copper coin would prevent that possibility.
Not everyone is as skilled as you ODG :allgood:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:45 am
,,let me stay out of this one.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm
Wow thanks for the posts guys!

I have heard of using copper and stuff, but i never really understood why. I figured that the mig would just melt a big hole into the thin sheet metal, and that this tool was designed to handle that or something. Like i said, i was in a high school metal class. Worked mostly with 1/2'' metal, body work is a whole new game to me that i hope to learn soon. I've got SO many projects, this Scirocco is just barely scratching the surface! So now i wont need to post again on another thread asking "how do i fix this BIG hole!" :goodjob:

in retrospect, it was a pretty stupid question, i could have probably found it through a few more hours of searching. I really appreciate your replies!

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 pm
RedDeadScirocco wrote:Wow thanks for the posts guys!

I have heard of using copper and stuff, but i never really understood why. I figured that the mig would just melt a big hole into the thin sheet metal, and that this tool was designed to handle that or something. Like i said, i was in a high school metal class. Worked mostly with 1/2'' metal, body work is a whole new game to me that i hope to learn soon. I've got SO many projects, this Scirocco is just barely scratching the surface! So now i wont need to post again on another thread asking "how do i fix this BIG hole!" :goodjob:

in retrospect, it was a pretty stupid question, i could have probably found it through a few more hours of searching. I really appreciate your replies!

if you can reach the back side just hammer a piece of 1/2 in copper tubing flat. use it for backing and weld it up. no big deal.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:38 pm
hey i want some of the action, so put some 1/8 in holes in some sheet metal and start welding them up. you are using hard wire arn't you ? anyway they MUST be clean no paint or rust this means in the hole or around it for a 1/2 in.. 1/8 holes are easy, no copper is needed and don't get a magnet close to your weld area it will make your weld go nuts. practice buy shooting a quick tack on one side of the hole then a second tack to close it up. you can do it with one tack but for a newbe try the 2 tacks. you'll need to play with your machine, most of the 110 models have steps or a-b-c-d- heat ranges and are usualy to hot or to cold. what you can do is move your stick out, thats the amount of wire that you have out form the tip to the metal. say if you have 1/2 in you can lift the handle to make more stick out this will make it weld a little hotter, closer less stick out cooler weld. so if B is to hot and A is to cold use A and run a little more stick out just practice its realy very easy :)
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:59 pm
,,thanks Jay!

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 am
Grind the paint off, using a mig with .023 mig wire fill the holes in try not to spnd to much time doing it, reach in directly after welding with a universal dolly placed on the weld from the inside and strike with a body hammer from the outside to normalise the metal.The finsih weld after peening with a body hammer should look like a button, grind the weld almost flush and finish with 80 git because of your lack of experience keeping the grinding marks minimal. push out any low spots with the edge of the dolly hammering the high spots down if their are any and fill with body filler.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm
Well ODG, It did get complicated!.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Holy crap, another VW, let alone a Scirroco :). Check out my build. Good luck with yours.
Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab