spraying 2k primer when its cold?!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:24 pm
hi peeps heres some work ive been doing on my vw corrado vr6, just about ready to add some 2k primer,
my question is! its starting to get colder now the summers over, just looked at the max temp in our local
paper and it says 15c so min is probably 10c, is that going to cause problems?? or just delayed drying times?
and would that cause problems with solvent bascoat?? or 2k clear? thanks...

all badges and holes welded up!

i guess i should make a thread in the members project section...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:02 pm
well i'll sart this debate, as i shoot in temps from the mid 40s to mid 50s in the winter sometimes colder but we won't talk about that now, and everything is fine. epoxy may give you some problems ,but i have shot ********** epoxy at just below 50 and it worked perfect. 2 wet coats and it was hard as a rock the next day ,i did give it about a 20 min. induction time. i would like to see you feather those spots out a little more, i would da all the paint off that rear panel sure you can fill it with the 2k primer but you should try and get it as flat as you can first it will sae you in the end :)
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:05 pm
Unless they changed it,,,the min temp should be no less than 65 "Degrees"
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:52 pm
badsix wrote:well i'll sart this debate, as i shoot in temps from the mid 40s to mid 50s in the winter sometimes colder but we won't talk about that now, and everything is fine. epoxy may give you some problems ,but i have shot ********** epoxy at just below 50 and it worked perfect. 2 wet coats and it was hard as a rock the next day ,i did give it about a 20 min. induction time. i would like to see you feather those spots out a little more, i would da all the paint off that rear panel sure you can fill it with the 2k primer but you should try and get it as flat as you can first it will sae you in the end :)

hi , cheers for the reply, there just random pics i posted, i have skimmed those spots out with u-pol dolphin glaze since those pics and finished sanding useing a guide coat and all feels ok, took me like 6 hours!! and i still want to do more on it :( .just looked at the celcius to fahrenheit conversion and the temp for the next month or so should be around 10c which is 50

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:23 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Unless they changed it,,,the min temp should be no less than 65 "Degrees"

Should be no less than 65, but would you do it if you needed to or would you not take the chance?
1997 S10 p/u.2005 5.3 L33 LS swap. 5spd, ZQ8 susp, 76 mm turbo,565 rwhp.610ft-lbs torque. Tuned by me with Efilive. Polo green metallic.

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:29 pm
i kinda need to as i only realy have the shed im renting for the winter which isnt ideal for body repairs {only just found out},

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm
vw_owner wrote:i kinda need to as i only realy have the shed im renting for the winter which isnt ideal for body repairs {only just found out},

I am in the same position although I can heat the garage if I want. Its a pain in the rear to heat and ventilate and all that bs. Im using propane so the fumes arent real bad but still there somewhat.
1997 S10 p/u.2005 5.3 L33 LS swap. 5spd, ZQ8 susp, 76 mm turbo,565 rwhp.610ft-lbs torque. Tuned by me with Efilive. Polo green metallic.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:36 am
Here's the recommendation from the ********** tech sheet for epoxy:

Cold Weather:
In cold shop conditions this primer can go dormant. Try to keep heat on car for four hours
after spraying with a minimum metal temperature of 60° F. Also, when cold it will help
to mix primer and let it induce 60 minutes before spraying. Application of any epoxy in
cold weather can destroy a paint job. If you have any questions regarding the
application of ********** Epoxy in cold weather please call us first. Metal temperature
when you spray is critical and must be at least 60 degrees!

The epoxy CAN stop cross-linking when metal temperature drops below 60 degrees. I usually warm the booth area to a minimum 70-75 degrees and make sure the car is in there long enough to warm the metal to at least 60 before I shoot. Then keep the heat on for a couple of hours after that for the epoxy to cure. Metal is slow to warm when cold and retains some heat once its warmed.
As always the tech sheets are going to err on the safe (warmer) temperature side so as to prevent issues and customer complaints. Can you get away with 50 degrees? Probably but I do not think it is worth the risk myself.

You should follow badsix's advice on feathering out those spots. Generally you want to extend your filler well beyond your repairs and then block sand them.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:04 am
To answer your original question about 2k primer (I'll assume you are referring to build primer and not epoxy) it can be sprayed in low temperatures but you will need longer flash and cure times.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 am
you can get small infra red heaters for not much over £100.I'd get 1 of those and heat up the metal before you put the paint on.Nothing worse than spraying onto cold steel
Next

Return to Body and Paint