Rust hole repair without welding....

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:13 am
Greetings all,
New to the forum and unsure on which forum was best for my post,....so if this is the wrong section; my apologies.

Picking up an old Jeep J-truck for a project car. It has some rust (surprise).
It primarily has some very light surface rust in some areas. AND it has 3-4 rust holes on nice flat areas of the body/bed panels. Each hole is maybe 2"x4"....
Luckily they are on nice, broad flat areas.

At this time I do not have access to a welder, nor do I have any welding skills at all.

I have read plenty online about the various fiberglass patch methods, metal mesh methods..etc. All ending with bondo on top...etc.
These methods all seem a bit sketchy. I know that cutting out the entire area and welding in new metal is the 'best' method.

In your opinion,.....if YOU didn't have the option of welding in sheet metal what would you do to restore the rusted areas?
Is their a "close second" technique that doesn't require a welder? Or am I doomed to make a repair that will last 2 years and then end up worse than it started?

Any thoughts, help, insight or advice greatly appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:11 pm
Panel Bond epoxy..............

http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bonding ... 08116.html
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:17 pm
Wow. Thx!!

Interesting.

So I assume I would need overlapping panels for this? Have to cut out the rusted area and get a panel in behind it.....use this to adhese it....then fill prep paint?
Wouldnt work for a butt joint....?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm
overlapping panels,,,yes
butt joint,,,No
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 pm
hi m8, dont be put off by welding, you can pick up mig welders realy cheap and they are realy simple to use, it is literaly point and shoot!, the dials on the front are wire speed and heat, its realy not hard to do, to learn it all it took was a m8 to tell me what was what, it took a few hours to get comftable with it though,
heres some pics,

wouldnt say its pro but before this i had no experiance with welding, anyone can do it

Return to Welding & Metal Fab