OK let's hear your best tips and your favorite tricks

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:46 pm
jeremyb wrote:Tip on getting a chunk of trash that falls into clear as you are spraying. tear off a small strip of 1-1/2" or 3/4" tape, make a u shape out of it where the sticky side would be facing the panel and gently dab onto the trash untill the adhesive of the tape picks up the trash. Easier than a trash pic or tooth pic...quicker also. I always have a roll of tape on the table in the booth. Even when wearing a suit and headsock, still always the possibility of an eyelash or piece of hair to fall right in the middle of the roof or hood!

you really shouldn't be wearing false eye lashes in the booth :rotfl:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:21 pm
Daz_England wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Tip on getting a chunk of trash that falls into clear as you are spraying. tear off a small strip of 1-1/2" or 3/4" tape, make a u shape out of it where the sticky side would be facing the panel and gently dab onto the trash untill the adhesive of the tape picks up the trash. Easier than a trash pic or tooth pic...quicker also. I always have a roll of tape on the table in the booth. Even when wearing a suit and headsock, still always the possibility of an eyelash or piece of hair to fall right in the middle of the roof or hood!

you really shouldn't be wearing false eye lashes in the booth :rotfl:

LOL. when I get in a rush I forget to take them out sometimes. happens to the best of us!!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 am
A friend told me this same trick once and I don't know how many times it has taken out small runs also! Works pretty good! :goodjob:

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am
edpol wrote:Mainly for us newbies, been stated numerous times, helped me on several occasions, and IMHO, think it's worth repeating:
On more than one occasion, someone made a mistake, then tried to fix it, only to make things worse. If you run into a problem, the best thing to do is leave it alone, then come here and do a search for the best solution.
In most cases, you'll find you're not the only one with the same problem, it's been discussed before, and solutions are available. It's a lot faster than just asking the question and waiting for answers.
If you can't find it in a search, then ask the question.

Very well said! First thing I do is head straight for the computer to find out what happened!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm
unclejack857 wrote:
A friend told me this same trick once and I don't know how many times it has taken out small runs also! Works pretty good! :goodjob:

Ah yes, slipped my mind about mentioning runs! same technique.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:49 pm
HARD to mask out rubbers that are attached to the door ,try this.
Attachments
Photo0394.jpg
rubber that are stuck to back of door
Photo0395.jpg
stick the 3m lining tape to the back of the wing ,leave quarter inch showing
Photo0396.jpg
dip your card or filler card in the water ,so when you push the tape it will not stick to card.
Photo0397.jpg
start pushing in the tape ,remember to keep your card wet
Photo0399.jpg
nice and neat ready for spraying
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 am
Tip
I was reading on the forum about Z-chrome rust defender and a gentalman using a 1.4 tip in his spratgun. I have used this ptoduct and it has a hardner additive . Great stuff. Experince an issue using a HVLP gun with the 1.4 tip and it came out in a spatter. Through trial and error , the best results I have experienced was a conventional spray gun gravity or syphon with a 2.0 tip. Adjust the fan air and volune and this stuff sprays great with min. orange peal. Thanks. Hotrod.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 am
If your are a beginner:

Spend as much time researching as possible. Go to a shop if possible (better yet a class at a community college) and watch, learn,ask, read, research.

Screw up or having a bad day in the garage (and you will) ? Walk away, take a break for a few days if you need to. All mistakes can be corrected, it's not the end of the world. Cover it up so you don't have to look at it, hit the forums and get advice.

Most take on their own paint/body at home for one of two reasons, either they enjoy the challenge and reward, or they can't afford the shop. If you plan to do it to save money and don't somewhat enjoy it, you'll be miserable and probably results will reflect it. Products are too expensive to waste.

NEVER
waste your money on cheap sandpaper (seriously, the difference is amazing).

SLOW DOWN, AND KEEP YOUR WORK AREA NEAT. Especially when preparing to shoot product, personally, I need minimum distraction and radio/cell phone off. This is when I'm the most "anxious" due to time constraints based on products set-up time frame (2K in the gun, etc) But that's just me.

Did I say SLOW DOWN ?
Last edited by rebeldart on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 am
If I go any slower, it'll put me in a faster reverse speed! :rotfl:

From Cornermike: If using lacquer thinner to clean your gun, flush it out with urethane reducer before spraying urethanes.
From lot's of other painters: Get rid of the little screen filter at the bottom of the cup.
Forgot where I read this: For whatever solvent you use to clean your guns, pour it into an empty dishwashing liquid bottle, or a spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle - gives better control, saving the amount of solvent used.
For homemade booths, use paint booth filters. They're inexpensive, and a lot more efficient than duct filters for removing dust and overspray.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:31 am
For removing large amounts of thick filler, use a propane torch or low heat from a welding torch to heat up the bondo. Scrape it off with a metal scraper. It will slide right off. ;)

Guide coat and block sand across the panel at an angle. 45 degree angle one way, 45 degree angle the other way. Keeps everything straight and prevents you from sanding too far and having to re-apply materials.

Tap on your highs, and push up on your lows. When using a hammer and dolly, push up on the dent from below and tap down the high spots around the dent. This will move a lot of metal without introducing more damage into the panel. Lots of taps are a lot more effective then a few hard swings. :)
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint