Project Paint revival-2000 Honda Civic Repaint

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:50 pm
Start to finish of my weekend.

On the way up to the cottage shop.

Washed and degreased

what the hood looked like prior to me starting... along with some clear peeling and such...

the clear was 100% gone from the spoiler too... so the car needs a spray job.

Right now I have Dupond Nason Ful-Base in r81 for color and Nason 2k Clear. Going to hit the areas of metal down with some high build primer, sand down with 400 grit and spray in a DIY booth in my shop. The car was sanded with 180 grit on a 6" da to get a good base and then with 400 grit on the same DA to finish the surface.

Thanks for looking and feel free to school me if something is wrong with what i have done.
Last edited by shlammed on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HellaFab.ca

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 pm
reading the title to the thread, i though i was gonna see some pictures of a buff and polish, but you're really serious about paint revival! looks like a pretty solid car to work on. keep us updated with pictures! nice size shop. whats the gun of choice for shootin the paint?

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm
I have a cheap gun that i have used on some of my other projects with good results. its just one of the Princess Auto HVLP guns. which is what i would assume to be similar to an HF gun. I have had it for 5 or 6 years now. It has a 1.4 or 1.6mm needle iirc.

I dont do many paint jobs and i know a real gun would be nice, no budget for a gun to do just this job.
HellaFab.ca

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:04 pm
Don't forget to roll you're fenders if you haven't already. It'll help keep those fenders nice and pretty in the future. :goodjob:

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:33 pm
why did you pull the engine?

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 am
i have rolled the fenders, but i need to hammer and dolly them a little nicer on the inside of the rear since they are so thick.
I did the fronts already and thats why i have some temporary primer on it.

I pulled the engine so i can change my clutch as well as my timing belt and waterpump. I will be painting the bay as well though to clean the car up.
HellaFab.ca

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am
Oh ok. Yeah, get them as flat as possible.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 am
The front is flush and PULLED a nice amount to allow my wide wheels to fit. I will be needing a detail gun to paint the inside of the rear fenders though.

Do you guys use a full size gun with a ~1.4 needle to spray engine bays, or is a smaller gun for detail work better?
HellaFab.ca

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 am
I like a full size gun for engine bays. Pull the wheels and put the car on jackstands to paint fenderwells and to raise it up for the rockers.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 am
Yeah that was planned. I am just prepping the car outside of my temp diy booth and am leaving the wheels on for it.

Would you use a full size gun for the inner painting of the chipped paint on the fender, or just narrow up the spray pattern and do in there?
HellaFab.ca
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects