3m perfect it? or u pols?

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 pm
any body use there 3stage polishing compounds? next week i should be ready for some cutting and buffing on my 2k clear, so im looking for some easy to use compound, i have already brought there 6" colour coded yellow,blue,green foam pads as it was only £20.00 and i figure i can use them with anyones compounds, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-PERFECT-IT ... 3a6d9a6b16 yay or neh? iv also seen u-pols 333, 334,335 compounds and look very nice in terms of price anyone use them? cheers..

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:05 pm
That's overkill,all you need is some Farecla G3 or G6 with a white foam to take out your 1500 flatting marks followed by a machine glaze.....I use 3M Perfect -it 3.....with a soft / waffle foam

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 pm
i actualy have farcela g3 compound comes in a little yellow bottle, i used it on my bonnet {my first spray peice} but i dont think i used the correct sponge for it and i didnt use a macine glaze so there were still scratchs there, since then i have seen the correct steps and want to start fresh and properly, but you have more experiance then i do so, i have the 3 3m's perfect it sponges green , yellow, and blue for finishing, would you use the g3 with the green? as thats the starter one and skip the yellow and use the blue with machine glaze? which machine glaze would you recomend? cheers,

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:56 am
I really don't bother with what colour the sponges are,I just use a soft or waffle one for the machine glazing.....different manufacturers use different colours anyway.
These are the only steps I use.
Flat with 1500's wet on a soft rubber block
Compound with G3 or you can try Liquidshine Hi-cut compund,it's slightly better than Farecla and you can buy it from Machine Mart in the UK.
If you go for the Liquidshine pick up a white foam head.......just 1 of the Machine Mart cheapo ones is fine,they are quite hard,that's what you need for compounding.
Get yourself a spray bottle,fill with water and dampen the sponge and the panel before you start ....just damp not soaked.
It may take a few passes to bring up the gloss but you don't go to the machine glazing until all the flatting marks have gone.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:05 am
3M's 3stage system is a waste of money, and time.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:22 pm
ok cheers for the advice, i was quite put off by spending almost £90 on compounds but i wanted to do it right! you know the old saying "buy cheap buy twice!"
im guessing this stuff is going to be good for use after the farcela g3 compound? looks like it ticks all the right box's ,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Imperial-Machine-Glaze-05991-1L-/260421516093?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ca254fb3d

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:32 pm
I like 3M and have been using it successfully for years.
Odg don't you use zymol to buff with?
What grits paper and pads do you use??
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am
I use 1500 grit on the D/A, and then 3M Super Duty with the blue or gray foam pad. I put a light coat of Zymol on it by hand after that.
My video is on the site on how I do it.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:16 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:I use 1500 grit on the D/A, and then 3M Super Duty with the blue or gray foam pad. I put a light coat of Zymol on it by hand after that.
My video is on the site on how I do it.

I'd take a gander at it if I could find the link....
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No Turning Back
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:01 am
vw_owner wrote:ok cheers for the advice, i was quite put off by spending almost £90 on compounds but i wanted to do it right! you know the old saying "buy cheap buy twice!"
im guessing this stuff is going to be good for use after the farcela g3 compound? looks like it ticks all the right box's ,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Imperial-Machine-Glaze-05991-1L-/260421516093?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item3ca254fb3d

I can't remember off-hand the particular glaze I use but I'lll check tomorrow and let you know......it's the best one I've used and I've tried a few
Next

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail