bending patch metal, weld in place

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:16 am
My car had a damaged roll pan. I had a machine shop make me one but it had to be rolled and a curved bent in it. The only way I could get the curve was to weld the top on then bend each corner and weld it to hold it in place. I have faith in the welds. However, it is a unibody car so I am afraid of body flexing... I know this is a hard question to visualize .... but do you think I will have issues with so much force wanting to bend away from the welds? Should I hit the curves with a torch to release tension at the bends? Or will that just warp it?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:50 am
It will be much easier to get advice if you post some pictures.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 am
I think I know what you're talking about and no you shouldn't have problems with it if you have good welds. I assume you only had to push the pan with linited force by hand to get the curve which doesn't amount to much force at all compared to the strength of a weld.
Rob

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:11 pm
rjuhasz wrote:I think I know what you're talking about and no you shouldn't have problems with it if you have good welds. I assume you only had to push the pan with linited force by hand to get the curve which doesn't amount to much force at all compared to the strength of a weld.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab