Tig welding panel

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 am
hi guys, going to repair the rust on my car but just wanna know what you guys do to keep the panel from bending with the heat? Just stitch it?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:27 am
Yes Sir,,,Keep moving around, Little tack here,,a little tack over there,,,don't stay in one area to long. Keep jumping around until you have it all welded up with no spaces between the welds.
(I wonder how many guys will make another post and tell you the same thing I just did,,,lets see) :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am
I think Old Dupont Guy is referring to mig welding, are you using a tig welder?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:17 am
Nope,,,TIG. You also do the same with MIG
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:30 pm
thanks guys , sorry about asking in a new topic i cant figure out this search haha i have never been good at using the forum search :lol:

this forum is great help

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 am
Do you have pulse with your tig and know how to use it, that is a good feature on keeping heat down but takes alot of practice setting amperage values, and of course move your heat around give it time to cool

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 am
one trick to do is to use your blow gun, crank the air pressure way up, stich your weld, then immeaditly blast it with air, it will cool the area quickly, if your not good with a tig set up, your better off using mig, a quick stich and let it cool, if your not good at tig you will be on the metal with the heat to long and it will warp

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:19 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:Nope,,,TIG. You also do the same with MIG

LOL :pcorn:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 pm
timbo wrote:

The problem with stitching when using a tig welder is that you lose the great benifit of having a tig welder. Stitching with a mig is acceptable and the right way to do it, because of the brittle nature of the mig weld its more difficult to stretch the shrinking of the weld, so stitching will give you less shrinking. But the tig has a soft weld very similar to torch welding, so it can be planished without fear of cracks, so you can do a continuous weld, then go back and stretch with a hammer and dolly. I learned to planish my weld areas without too much trouble, after practicing only about two weeks, so most people can learn this and get the panel stretched back out close to original contour and use less bondo. If you only intend to stitch weld, then the mig welder does shrink less than the tig, and would be better.

Tim I was trying to maintain some respect for ODG by not responding, try to do the same please. I have posted this same opinion many times on this forum, so the OP only had to do a search to find it.
And this post is two months old, get a life.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
The Rock wrote:
timbo wrote:

The problem with stitching when using a tig welder is that you lose the great benifit of having a tig welder. Stitching with a mig is acceptable and the right way to do it, because of the brittle nature of the mig weld its more difficult to stretch the shrinking of the weld, so stitching will give you less shrinking. But the tig has a soft weld very similar to torch welding, so it can be planished without fear of cracks, so you can do a continuous weld, then go back and stretch with a hammer and dolly. I learned to planish my weld areas without too much trouble, after practicing only about two weeks, so most people can learn this and get the panel stretched back out close to original contour and use less bondo. If you only intend to stitch weld, then the mig welder does shrink less than the tig, and would be better.

Tim I was trying to maintain some respect for ODG by not responding, try to do the same please. I have posted this same opinion many times on this forum, so the OP only had to do a search to find it.
And this post is two months old, get a life.

Thanks mr rock. I would call you by name but you hide.
Respectfully speaking your respect is as sincere as your false humility.
Get real.
PS I was 6 days late from the last post... thank you.... thank you very much.

:worthy:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab