Using Jitterbug to cut clearcoat

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:31 pm
I was wondering if anyone has ever used a jitterbug sander to cut the peel out of clearcoat. I am a beginner and have recently painted a couple of panels for myself and family members. I am not real good at laying clear down flat and usually have substantial orange peel. I have been getting nice results after wetsanding by hand and then buffing but I was wondering if I may be able to use my jitterbug on large flat areas rather than doing all of it by hand. Just looking for a little input on this. Thanks, Jason

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 am
I would think it highly likely it would quickly cut through the clear coat in areas...while I would wait on one of the pros to chime in,I wouldn't try it,personally.
My programs never have bugs,they just develop new features!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:59 am
I would stick with what you know... your hand right> A little flexblock or hard depending on how much peel.

Using a jitterbug will cut too fast since it moves back and forth instead of random orbit which is much safer.

Use a D/A sander with interface pad and cutting discs if you want to cut it faster.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:55 am
The J/B is fine. Just make sure you stay away from the corners and edges,,,and blow it off with a lot of air to remove dust and dirt before you start.
It only takes one grain of sand to ruin the clear so make sure you do it inside the shop and not outside with the wind blowing.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm
rick like i do, prefer to cut the clear dry. less mess, to wash off the car etc and you can see your results immediatly as you go. both him and I like 1500 and then buff. If you never tried the jitterbug on clear yet. do a practice panel. see, how it goes.
Life is Short, Live your life and Do what You want to Do!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm
Thanks for all of the comments fellas. I have been using a hard block with 1500 flollowed by a soft block with 2000. I was just looking for something to make things move a little quicker in the cutting stage. Cutting is my LEAST favorite part of painting so far. I have tried laying clear down thicker to get a little less peel but keep ending up with runs when I try that.

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm
depends on gun set up, pressures, tip size, technique. etc.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:29 pm
,,remember the air/surface temp with the hardener and the reducer too..........................................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

* Banned *
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:14 pm
yes i forgot that. those are important too. And in most cases, you want your clear to lay down how you want it to look in the final result. practice makes perfect!.

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail