need advice on canadian low voc or solvent wats better?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:16 pm
im sure more people have this question.im ready to paint my car,its a show car but gonna drive it daily.
am i better with low voc or waterborne?i will paint it myself.any experts here wanna give me some help?pros cons?not looking for single stage.im no expert so i will respect all opinions
my progess thread
http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx86 ... 1QQtppZZ16

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 pm
It's not so much about what is better but what is your environment like in regards to spraying conditions.Are you going to spray your car in your garage or are you going to rent a spraybooth?
Waterborne needs lots of airflow to help it flash and your environment needs to be as clean as possible.Waterborne could be a bad experience waiting to happen if you have no experience in spraying it.There is noting wrong with it you just have to approach it different than solvent.I have been using it in a high production shop for the last 3 years with great success.

Low voc solvent base would be my choice if you were going to do it yourself for a couple of reasons.It will work better in a garage type setting with little airflow and it won't be so sensitive to a less than perfect environment.Low voc solvent is decent for completes but not that great for spot ins due to it being a thicker product that does not blend like the old solvent systems and color match is non existent. Good luck

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:51 pm
thanks jaon good advice.i do have access to a spray booth if i feel like moving the car.wat waterborne are you usung in yur shop?and wats a good solvent paint.?im hearing of prospray and no-mix .my shop is 900 sq ft so making a makeshift booth wont be too hard.what about ordering kirker from usa???
dont forget im trying for show quality.dont wanna use limco nason or omni

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:22 pm
Kirker on a show car?come on :rotfl: I seriously doubt you will be able to get banned high voc products across the line.Kirker is no better than limco/nason/omni.Do you have much experience spraying?
I can't vouch for prospray or no mix but I know of some people using low voc matrix base with great results.
We use Sikkens Autowave at our shop,the shop I work at has been sikkens since 87.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:27 pm
not much spraying exp. but i know how to use a gun and can spray good.no experience is biggest prob.who makes matrix and were can you buy it.?

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 am
Where are you? I'm in Edmonton and I can still get some really decent paint. There's Glasurit, PPG Concept, Endura (high voc!) in single stages. And I'm pretty sure alot of the top end base coats are low voc but they still spray out nice.

Waterbourne is technically 'better' but there's a whole new level of learning curve and tools needed.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am
The OP said he didn't want single stage.Matrix is its own company and it is available in Canada if that is the route you want to go.Spraying a complete car is a whole other ballgame compared to doing a fender or test panel,my suggestion is to try and spray a car that doesn't matter just to get the feel for it compared to doing it on your project.
I wouldn't say that waterborne is better they have there good and bad compared to solvent.I'm 4 hrs south of you in Lethbridge and can still get some high voc stuff.It really depends on your jobbers,some are still selling solvent to walk ins due to the learning curve with waterborne.Endura is for oil rig derricks and trailers,I wouldn't use it on a show car.I'm pretty sure the other single stages you are talking about are of the low voc variety which work just fine.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm
gotta quote on auto wave $900 for 6 liters plus tax,is that a good deal?he said thats jobber price,and wat are their epoxies and 2k like?he said they will warranty the paint if i use their sealer,even though its sw primer already on the car done.{only the shell is finished)any tips on using autowave?

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 pm
I would only use Autowave in a spraybooth,not in a garage with no airflow.$900 for 6 litres is to high,if you have limited experience I WOULD NOT USE WATERBORNE!!!It is completely different than spraying solvent.Sikkens primers and epoxies are very nice.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 pm
my favourite saying is "you only live once"so im gonna paint it ,if it dont turn out ill sand it and do it again.
i can make my garage a perfect spray booth pretty easy.i do have access to a booth as well.the store rep said he will guide me to wat a booth should have,ill practice by jambing the doors.and inside trunk.i know your giving me advice on not tyo do it myself,which is fine i appreciate that.but i need your advice on pointers and tricks.
did you see my progess thread in my first ppost here?i thought i did a pretty good job on the underside,my first time.its single stage thouigh.heres the link again
http://www.photobucket.com/80z28
Last edited by burnoutz on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Body and Paint