68 R/T , more help please !

Discuss anything after that final masking comes off.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:15 pm
i have been doing some more wetsanding and am having a lot of trouble removing sanding scratches. I see in some pics you posted , that your panel has a more even dull look to it than mine does. I am using the wood block , diagonally starting with 800-3m , 1000, 1500, 2000 , and when I am done buffing , the scratches are marnified. I am using so much water to keep everything clean that I have a lake in my shop ! I am using almost no pressure on the block , but the scrathes persist. I now have to scuff and re clear since I have already buffed through a thin spot trying to remove the scratches. One thing I am doing that may be different : I have a bucket soaking my sandpaper in , and am using a spray bottle with some car wash soap mixed in and am constantly spraying the area that I am sanding. Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:42 pm
Should only use the hard block to level things.
How are you checking your progress? When you finish sanding with one grit the next higher grit should remove all those lower grit scratches before you move on.
Another thing to check is your bucket water. If you get just one particle of sand or dirt under your paper it will really mess you up.
I have to filter my well water from the outside water faucets just for that reason.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Cut, Buff, Polish & Detail