Kirker START TO FINISH: BLACK DIAMOND LOW V.O.C BASECOAT

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:51 pm
i am looking at passably getting this kit to do my first paint job project. i am just going with a basic black SUPER JET BLACK LVB-70330

START TO FINISH: BLACK DIAMOND LOW V.O.C BASECOAT / CLEAR COAT PAINT KIT

1gal. of 2k LOW V.O.C High build Urethane primer/sealer (buff or grey) with Activator
1gal. of Black Diamond LOW V.O.C basecoat with Activator
1gal. of EC350 LOW V.O.C Clear Coat With Activator
1qt LOW V.O.C Urethane reducer
15 Paint sticks, & 15 Strainers
3 Tack rags
3 count 1qt mixing cups , for easy mixing
Diamond Pearl (Midcoat) Kits Come w/ WhIte Base
Instruction sheet for mixing all products
CLICK HERE TO VIEW LOW V.O.C BASECOAT ONLY COLOR CHART
Kits Start at $339.00 Plus S&H

now i am no paint professional. so i dont mind using a cheaper paint. ill prob not have this car 3 years from now so i am not hell bent on it lasting forever. i am just looking for anyone who has some first hand experience using this kit. how did u like it? is it worth the money.

also it says that it has a Diamond pearl mid code w/white base. would that be good for a black paint job?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 pm
I've only done a practice panel with a Black Diamond metallic basecoat, but it went on very nicely and covered with 2 coats. With black you don't need the white base, it's for their pearl colors. I'd do what the pros say, and put an epoxy primer over bare metal before the 2k primer/sealer.
I tried the EC300 clear, which is essentially the same as the EC350 except for the VOC's. It goes on very smoothly, and doesn't run easily, so that's a big help if you haven't used clearcoats before.
Since you're not using a metallic or pearl, and not concerned about a long lasting, it would probably be easier to just use the Kirker single stage urethane. (Ultra-Glo) It would also be cheaper.
My neighbor recently sold a car that was painted with Kirker Ultra-glo 6 years ago, and it still looked great. The car never saw a garage, and was out in all kinds of weather. All he did was wash it regularly

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 pm
ok, so what ur saying is when i order my black base coat, i prob wont even get the diamond peral mid coat or white base since its not needed?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:45 pm
Yes. The midcoat pearl colors go over a pure white base to get the best effects. Those midcoat pearl kits are probably $100.
Priced separately at autobodytoolmart.com:
Low VOC Primer/sealer - $81.99
Super Jet Black basecoat- 69.99
EC350 and activator - 116.98
Low VOC Reducer 15.99

Total - $284.95
The rest is for the sticks, strainers, cups, and tack rags.

Do you have to go with the low VOC products?

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:47 am
no. i am a newb. i dont even know what low voc is. i have no regulation on what i can spray.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:45 pm
If there's no restrictions, you're probably better off with the Ultra-Glo. Once you're primer is on and prepped, you just spray the color, and you're done. Plus you save money. Some of the pros here prefer single stage for solid colors.
I'm assuming you were looking at the kit from smartshoppers? If so, they have a kit for Ultra-Glo as well, with clearcoat if you want to use it. It's $120 less than the Black Diamond kit.
It's at the bottom of the page. Notice the difference in price for the Diamond Pearl kit. (I think Kirker should have come up with a different name for the Black Diamond low VOC series. It has nothing to do with their Diamond Pearls, which are available in Black Diamond, and Ultra-Glo)
If you do go with the single stage, you don't have to clearcoat if you don't want to. In that case, it's cheaper to buy it all separate. It would come to under 200 bucks.

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirker/ ... hanes.html

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:44 am
i want something thats going to be a nice deep black, that has a nice shine. i think i am def going to go with a clear coat

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 am
edpol wrote:If there's no restrictions, you're probably better off with the Ultra-Glo. Once you're primer is on and prepped, you just spray the color, and you're done. Plus you save money. Some of the pros here prefer single stage for solid colors.
I'm assuming you were looking at the kit from smartshoppers? If so, they have a kit for Ultra-Glo as well, with clearcoat if you want to use it. It's $120 less than the Black Diamond kit.
It's at the bottom of the page. Notice the difference in price for the Diamond Pearl kit. (I think Kirker should have come up with a different name for the Black Diamond low VOC series. It has nothing to do with their Diamond Pearls, which are available in Black Diamond, and Ultra-Glo)
If you do go with the single stage, you don't have to clearcoat if you don't want to. In that case, it's cheaper to buy it all separate. It would come to under 200 bucks.

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirker/ ... hanes.html

i think ur right, i might be better off going with the SUPER JET BLACK UA-70330 KIRKER START TO FINISH: URETHANE / CLEAR COAT PAINT KIT $219

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm
will 3/4 gallon of black be enough paint to cover my 94 wagon including door jams and engine bay?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:58 am
SQ is the SQUAD wrote:will 3/4 gallon of black be enough paint to cover my 94 wagon including door jams and engine bay?

Probably not, but at their price, buy two.
I used 2 gallons on a Civic, but I painted everything.

Kirker's urethanes are as good a paint as any out there.
they wouldn't have been in business for over 100 yrs if they
sold inferior paint.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)
Next

Return to Body and Paint