Oxy/Ace welding cutting.... Need help

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:34 pm
Cut through a fuel line and you will definitely be in for trouble quick. Big time if its fuel injection with pressure on the line. You will be dead or heading to the burn center.

:flatten:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:14 pm
timbo wrote:Cut through a fuel line and you will definitely be in for trouble quick. Big time if its fuel injection with pressure on the line. You will be dead or heading to the burn center.

:flatten:

:goodpost:

Never did any welding near a fuel line, but even if using a cutting or grinding tool in the vicinity, fuel lines were removed or protected. Sparks can ignite gas just as easily as an open flame - when was the last time you replaced "flame plugs"?

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 pm
flame plugs? is there another term?
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:55 am
timbo wrote:flame plugs? is there another term?

Illustrating the point that sparks will ignite gas as easily as open flame - If a spark wasn't enough to cause ignition in a gas powered engine, we'd need "flame plugs".
We were required to watch a demonstration when I worked for the county, on the dangers of using a grinder near flammable substances. It doesn't take much to get a solvent soaked rag to smolder, or even a spill to ignite. Just guessing, but it seems logical that the hotter sparks from a welder, or a torch pointed in the wrong direction could spell disaster.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm
edpol wrote:Resurrecting an old thread which caught my interest.
I used both propane and acetylene, the biggest difference is, you get cleaner welds with acetylene. In actuality, while acetylene burns hotter than propane, oxy/propane burns hotter than oxy/acetylene.

(Jumping into old post)

Yeah, not sure why there is such confusion in this thread.. All my farm buddies converted to propane/oxy a LONG time ago for it's cost to cut ratio.. I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure they never mentioned anything about cutting capacity going down. I meant to do it years ago, but just bought a cheap plasma instead (recently).

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 pm
There is a lot more to "acetylene" than propane.
Its a lot more hazardous to use.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:03 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:There is a lot more to "acetylene" than propane.
Its a lot more hazardous to use.

Another reason why I switched to propane. Propane is also more readily available, and when used for cutting, it's just fine.
Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab