Charge Air Pro compressor?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 pm
I found an 80 Gallon 6.5 hp 2 stage Charge Air Pro air compressor for $675 locally. They're even willing to take a smaller 110v compressor on partial trade (I have a 33 gal Craftsman conveniently)

Anyways, even at $675 is that a good deal? Good compressor? They're made by Devilibss according to http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/charge- ... 14826.html

Also, would you guys think that my Craftsman and like 250 or 300 would be fair?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:06 am
Seems like a good deal,if everything is in good shape.

Tank is worth a a few hundred if it's in good shape,anyways.
My programs never have bugs,they just develop new features!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:05 am
They'll probably give you $50-$100 for the craftsman. It goes for $400 brand new, sometimes goes on sale for $369.
I found this interesting:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11117.html

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 am
Luckily my 33gallon isn't listed on there. I went ahead and emailed the person and I'm going to try to go look at it. It would be great for painting the 66 f100 I might be buying :)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 am
I found it interesting that DeVilbiss made compressors for all those companies. I'm wondering if they also made our 33 gal. Craftsman compressors..

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:09 am
Five0hFox wrote:I found an 80 Gallon 6.5 hp 2 stage Charge Air Pro air compressor for $675 locally. They're even willing to take a smaller 110v compressor on partial trade (I have a 33 gal Craftsman conveniently)

Anyways, even at $675 is that a good deal? Good compressor? They're made by Devilibss according to http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/charge- ... 14826.html

Also, would you guys think that my Craftsman and like 250 or 300 would be fair?

I'm pretty good around air compressors (used many different brands and types over the last several decades). I currently have $4,000 Quincy 80 gallon two stage unit. Just to muddy the waters up a little more Ingersoll Rand also made Charge Air Pro compressors. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02108.html

Now to the reason I'm posting this message - There are good 80 gallon two stage compressors and there are not so good 80 gallon two stage compressors with prices ranging anywhere from a little over $500 new up to $5000 or more depending on who made it and the quality of the unit. What I suggest you do is get a complete model number of the air compressor you are thinking about buying and post it here where we can research it a little to find out exactly what compressor you are talking about. It might be a really good deal on the one you're thinking about buying or it may be a real piece of crap that you won't want in your garage.
You need to know exactly what you're buying before you buy it. There are several things to look for in buying a used air compressor before you buy it (like checking for oil residue in the air outlet hole in the air tank, etc. I would be skeptical of buying a used air compressor if you can't hear and see it run. You should time it on your watch of how long the air compressor takes from totally empty to pressurized shut off. (will give you an accurate idea of exactly how much air its actually pumping into the tank) could have bad valves in the head or a bad check valve, could have bad rings on the pistons etc etc etc. Find out if its a TRUE 5 hp 220 V single phase motor (that electric motor alone should weigh close to a hundred pounds) My Quincy Baldor 5hp single phase motor new weighs 105 lbs without the cast iron double belt pulley). Look on the motor data plate and see how many amps the motor is rated for. If it says around 15 amps then its really a 3hp motor. If its a true 5hp motor (22 to 25 amps) the make sure it comes with its magnetic starter box).

I realize that a good deal on a good air compressor is something you need to jump on before someone else buys it but better to lose a deal than buy something you will be sorry about buying later.

Need a complete model number and a picture would be nice also.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:14 pm
Thank you for the long post Phil. Aren't bot Ingersol Rand and Devilbiss good brands?

Here's some pictures from the ad and what they say "80 gallon 230/1/60 air compressor. It's like new, need to get out of storage." Do you know what they mean with the bolded part?

I was considering getting this harbor freight one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 93274.html or possibly even the 60 gal 1 stage as they both put out a decent amount more air than my Craftsman but then I saw this one posted locally.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm
Five0hFox wrote:Thank you for the long post Phil. Aren't bot Ingersol Rand and Devilbiss good brands?

Here's some pictures from the ad and what they say "80 gallon 230/1/60 air compressor. It's like new, need to get out of storage." Do you know what they mean with the bolded part?

I was considering getting this harbor freight one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/ ... 93274.html or possibly even the 60 gal 1 stage as they both put out a decent amount more air than my Craftsman but then I saw this one posted locally.

I can't seem to find any information on that air compressor on the internet. It looks very similar to an air compressor that Home Depot and Lowes sells right now in in the $750 - $800 range. But I also found one that looks similar to one Sears sells in the $1900 range.

Don't be misled by the name Devilbiss, Ingersoll Rand (or even Quincy for that matter) because they all put their names on a "value line" of tools. In other words those name brand companies put out excellent high end compressors and they also put their names on cheap compressors to "maximize profits".

If you want my honest opinion I would not pay anywhere near $500 on a used air compressor that I can't see and hear run. I ran across a true Ingersoll Rand high end compressor at a yard sale last summer 80 gal 2 stage that was put in storage when a counter top business shut down. It had a true 5hp motor with a magnetic starter box. They were asking $450 for it but they already had a deposit on it. I checked it out pretty close and it was a good buy. I have my Quincy compressor so I didn't need another large air compressor but that Ingersoll was too good of a deal to pass up. The guy that put the deposit down on it came back and picked it up.

The 230/1/60 I believe stands for 230 volt /single phase /60 cycle (electric motor).

If you decide you do want that Charge Air Pro unit without hearing and seeing it run then have the seller give you a written guarantee that there is nothing seriously wrong with the compressor ( the key word there was IN WRITING). If he won't do that then tell him you're not interested.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:05 pm
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately it was sold this afternoon.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:23 pm
:splat: Sorry Dude...
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies