scuffing fiberglass hood

Anything goes in the world of fiberglass and plastic

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm
I just used a red scotch brite pad on my fiberglass hood to knock the gloss off of it, is this good enough to epoxy prime on. FYI, ********** black epoxy, 2k.

Sorry about putting this topic in this forum I`m kinda rushed and this one gets more traffic, thanks.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:01 pm
I would blow it off and tack rag it. Then go for it....
PS.... you did clean it good right?

:rockon:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am
Yes I washed it with dawn soap and a scotch brite. Before and after.

I thought I was gonna spray night or this morning, time i got the room cleared out enough and clean enough to spray in i was toast.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:23 pm
Is it a brand new hood thats never been painted?
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:05 pm
65fastbackresto wrote:Yes I washed it with dawn soap and a scotch brite. Before and after.

I thought I was gonna spray night or this morning, time i got the room cleared out enough and clean enough to spray in i was toast.

Sounds like after a nap you can get busy..HA! Hope it is smooth and flat.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:51 am
Yes brand new hood from Stangoholics. I need it black so I can back it out in the sun few a few weeks so maybe it will settle into the hole better. It fits pretty good it just has a few high spots around the edges. Black will hold heat alot better then the white it currently is.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:10 pm
If you want it good and flat, a Scotch Brite Pad is not the way to go. You should block it with 220-180 and then prime it with a good 2K filler primer.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:31 pm
I can do that, but don`t I still need to epoxy it? I need to be able to sit it out in the sun for couple weeks so it`ll settle into the hole better. Plus if I put 2 heavy coats of epoxy on it it`ll give me something to 220 block without busting thru the gelcoat right?

FYI, I didn`t mean epoxying it before 220 blocking it. I could get alot more aggresive if it had epoxy on it is what I ment.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:37 pm
You can use epoxy,,,but regular 2K filler primer will adhere to regular fiberglass panels just fine.

"OR" you can block it, spray 2-3 coats of the 2K, let it dry for a couple days, then block it again with 220, then spray two coats of the epoxy. This would be the best way to handle it....

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:15 pm
They make this stuff look so simple on saturday morning car shows... Simple enough you go buy a car you think you can fix, you throw goobs of money at it, even doing all the work yourself, and about $20,000 later you realize you have 30k in a car thats worth about 12k the way its sitting since you stripped all the paint off and made it ugly. Then you realize all the you tube videos and how to videos in the world aint gonna get you out of what you got yourself into....

So far these forums have been my been the only reason I think I can still finish it, so thanks guys. I mean that in a huge way.
Next

Return to Fiberglass and Plastic