Trailer Paint

Show off your work! Anything from final results to full start-to-finish project journals.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm
Hi this is my first post. When I was painting all I ever used was Lacquer and Enamel but I guess I have to learn new stuff. I'm new to all the new terms and technology in painting these days so I figured I better ask some questions. My first paint job is going to be on my car trailer it has a diamond plate steel deck that is scratched up and rusty. What I am looking for is are product’s that will stop the rust and a finish that will look good and be durable. I will be wire brushing the deck to get as much of the rust and loose paint off and then hit it with a disk sander and probably use a flapper disk on the sides.. Any and all ideas welcome

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm
If you want it to last, sand blast it, two coats of epoxy and then use a good single stage urethane.
The wire wheel and disk sander cant get all the rust off.... It will come back.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:15 pm
:welcome:

right on odg!

:goodpost:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:30 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm
Do you guys really spray trailers :shock: . By design they get the sh!t scratched out of them (at least mine do :) ).

I just wire brush them (wire brush in a grinder), grab the cheapest paint roller kit I can find and some self priming oil based epoxy/"anti-rust" paint and roll the paint on. it would take no time at all to roll a flat trailer like that one. "killrust" is a popular self priming oil based paint out here. This way you get some decent paint build on there. You'll have scratched most of it off within a couple of years either way. If it's a box trailer and you've scratched it up badly by scraping shovels/spades along it .... You just pressure wash it and roll another coat on (just chuck the < $5.00 roller kit in the bin when finished... Only takes 5minutes that way to touch up the trailers floor floor that way

That reminds me .... my trailers need painting too :( It must be 3years since they were last done.

seeya,
Shane L.
The nutty Citroen guy...

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:52 pm
:neutral:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:33 pm
I keep going back and forth on the paint do I want to spend $300 on primer and paint or go cheap because I have sides for it and will use it for scrapping once and a while. What I was thinking was do the sides, tongue and fenders with the good stuff and just roll the deck because like Double said it will get scratched up. I have some time before I do it (the weather) and I need to finish the 70 C/10 on the trailer first, I will be needing help with some touch up on it but that will be another post.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm
,,just spray "Bed Liner" on the deck......................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:26 pm
Took the words right outta my mouth!
:goodpost:

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:16 pm
The last trailer I bought (a equipment trailer) had bed liner sprayed on it the problem with that was water got under the liner because it sits some times for months and started rotting the bed, talk about a pain to take off and the tie downs would have to be masked off so that would leave an edge where water could get under. This trailer won't get the abuse the other one did so Rustolem on the deck would be easier to touch up and I know where I can still get it in oil base paint for now.
Next

Return to Completed & In Progress Member Projects