Masking tape won't stick to itself

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am
,,"I ended up resorting to duct tape for masking."

If you cleaned the rubber trim before you used the duct tape and you leave it on there for a while,,,you are in for a BIG surprise!!!

Hey all you other guys out there reading this,,,you should never use duct tape to mask your car off..................
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:27 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:,"I ended up resorting to duct tape for masking."

If you cleaned the rubber trim before you used the duct tape and you leave it on there for a while,,,you are in for a BIG surprise!!!

Hey all you other guys out there reading this,,,you should never use duct tape to mask your car off..................

ODG... I am going to assume (hopefully) that he used the Duct tape over the masking tape that was already on the rubber. Doesn't seem like the best idea, but seems a little better than putting it directly on the rubber.

-Rob

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm
Why would be put masking on then duct? The masking would not stick is his problem.... :knockout:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 am
,,,sometimes I just dont respond to statements like that, ya know Tim.....

I would like to know how the duct tape came off.
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:11 am
To clarity, I used duct tape to attach the paper to the masking tape. However, with 95 degrees and very high humidity, even the duct tape is letting go. I may need something stronger like Gorilla tape. Seriously, glue residue is the least of my problems. I would rather clean paint residue off the rubber than remove paint.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 am
Ed,,,just clean the rubber gaskets with enamel reducer (NOT lacquer thinner) and then tape them up with a good quality masking tape.
You have to use quality products to get quality results.........................

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:49 am
OldDupontGuy wrote:Ed,,,just clean the rubber gaskets with enamel reducer (NOT lacquer thinner) and then tape them up with a good quality masking tape.
You have to use quality products to get quality results.........................

Unfortunately to do that, I would have to order the masking tape online and wait a week since I can't find anyone locally in my small village who sells 3M masking tape.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:46 pm
Well,just wait,think about things you need,and order them all at once. 3 days isn't that long.

Rushing your paintjob is only going to cause you problems.
My programs never have bugs,they just develop new features!
Previous

Return to Body and Paint